We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travellers Cheques

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Travellers Cheques

Hi

I think I've already had this question answered in a previous post but can't seem to find it. I would be grateful for any and information on cashing travellers cheques in Puerto Rico. Normally we take sterling travellers cheques. Can you still cash these easily in PR, is there a charge? What is the current exchange rate? We are due on the 2nd of December. How does everyone else take currency abroad?

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico
Gran Canaria, Spain
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
158 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travellers Cheques

We always used sterling travellers cheques, but for a number of years now we have taken cash. Just make sure you hire the safe in your room.

Ireland
Level Contributor
4,469 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travellers Cheques

Robert

This might be the thread you are looking for.

tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g635887-i11076-k681…

Click on your name and it will take you to your profile. From there you can see what you have posted in the past. :-)

Personally, I would just take a few euros cash for when I first arrive, then just take a reasonable amount from an ATM when needed. Use the safe in the accommodation always! I know others use the pre-loaded cash card like Caxton.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
223 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Travellers Cheques

Hi I found it difficult to cash cheques on my last visit so I purchased a euro cashcard through a company called ICE CARD,I didnt get charged for using this in the atms in Gran canaria and you can use it for purchases.hope this helps

Mentioned in this post
Gran Canaria
Gran Canaria
Canary Islands, Spain
Blackburn, United...
Level Contributor
64 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travellers Cheques

If you have a Santander current account then you can withdraw cash from any of their ATMs in Spain (and hence Gran Canaria) free of charge using their cashpoint card.

I have a Halifax Clarity Credit Card for cash withdrawals elsewhere. No charge for withdrawals and a good rate of exchange. Yes you pay interest from the date of withdrawal but it really is minimal if you pay your bill off in full. In fact if I can be bothered I pay off the outstanding amount on my return.

Mentioned in this post
Santander
Santander
Cantabria, Spain
Spain
Spain
Europe
Gran Canaria
Gran Canaria
Canary Islands, Spain
uk
Level Contributor
1,889 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travellers Cheques

Robert. I used to be a traveller's cheque advocate and would only use them, but ive discovered prepaid cards, and to be honest, theyre great and so much more easier to use, with hardly any commission taken from you.

If you look on comparison websites, I used moneysavingexpert.com, it gives a comprehensive review of the best on the market. I used fairfx, but im aware caxtonfx is also listed as another of the best.

It took me sometime to feel trusting towards these prepaid cards, but ive used them now for 5 years and I can honestly say ill never go back to the travellers cheques, and thats coming from someone who trusted only travellers cheques.

I think times are fast moving away from the cheques system.

My suggestion is do what I did the first couple of years. Get a prepaid card and top it up with some money, then take your usual travellers cheques, that way you can experiment with the idea and get yourself comfortable with them. And you can get the prepaid cards in euro, and they usually have a very good exchange rate.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travellers Cheques

Thanks for the quick reply's and advice. There seems to be a few charges for these cards even to load them up. I'll have a look into them but may take some cash and cheques just in-case.

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
11,364 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travellers Cheques

The Caxton fx Euro card has no charges.

The exchange rate , when you load it is good and there are no charges for withdrawing cash from ATMs or paying hotel / restaurant bills in euros,

The only fees are if you pay a bill in sterling because the euros have to be reconverted.

I have also had one of these cards for several years , used it in several countries and never been charged anything.

Graham

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
471 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travellers Cheques

I didn't even know travellers cheques still existed!! We take a few Euros going out, then just use the ATM's. Simples.... :-)

Ireland
Level Contributor
4,469 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travellers Cheques

Got to agree with the last post. Just let your bank know you are going abroad first, so they don't block it, suspecting it's been stolen. The charges aren't that expensive. Withdraw fairly decent amounts and keep in your accommodation safe, always know where you stand then. :-)

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travellers Cheques

So there is nobody on here that has recently used a travellers cheque in Purto Rico? It's card or cash?

Get answers to your questions about Puerto Rico