We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arguineguín or Anfi?

Essex, UK
Level Contributor
109 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Arguineguín or Anfi?

I'll be going to Puerto Rico in 3 months time (2nd visit) and I want to use the Bluebird Ferry to explore the area a bit more. I went to Mogan the last time (and will do so again this time) but would also like to visit either Arguineguín or Anfi. (Or even both).

Which of the two is nicer? (I've been told Anfi is only time-share stuff, which I'd want to avoid, but I'm not 100% certain if that's true).

Any advice gratefully received (I'm not keen on getting buses to other areas - far too much stress, lol).

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico
Gran Canaria, Spain
Mogan
Mogan
Gran Canaria, Spain
Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
3,390 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arguineguín or Anfi?

Anfi is a time share resort which has a nice beach Arguineguin is more of a working Spanish town with tourists thrown in you could get the ferry to either and walk to the other. Bus excellent regular service to both air conditioned with helpful drivers takes about 10/15 minutes if that to Arguineguin very little stress at all

Mentioned in this post
Arguineguin
Arguineguin
Gran Canaria, Spain
Essex, UK
Level Contributor
109 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arguineguín or Anfi?

Thank you for the swift response. I prefer the sound of Arguineguin as I like the idea of a working Spanish town. I may look into buses when I'm in Puerto Rico (have been put off in the past with unreliable bus services elsewhere, but it may be worth checking out). Many thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Arguineguin
Arguineguin
Gran Canaria, Spain
Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico
Gran Canaria, Spain
Ireland
Level Contributor
4,469 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arguineguín or Anfi?

The return ferry isn't very cheap from Mogan I know, but it is a lovely trip. I've taken a boat to Anfi for an afternoon, then walked to the bus stop on the main road from there and caught a bus back. Cheaper and a different view!

Nice but busy beach, small expensive shopping centre, plenty of fairly priced eateries. PS, you don't get any hassle from any sales people re the time share there.

If you do get the boat to Arguineguin, be sure to watch out for the huge turtles swimming in the harbour there. Personally, I found Arguineguin a bit disappointing. Maybe I didn't wander around enough, but while the beach is lovely, I really only found a shopping centre with many of the units closed up or had never been let.

Mentioned in this post
Mogan
Mogan
Gran Canaria, Spain
Arguineguin
Arguineguin
Gran Canaria, Spain
Essex, UK
Level Contributor
109 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arguineguín or Anfi?

Thank you for that useful information.

I love boat trips (went dolphin watching last time and loved it).

I'm going all-inclusive for the first time so want to be back in time for dinner/lunch, so short trips up the coast & back is something I'm keen to do. I won't be looking for anywhere to have a full meal - as long as I can get a coffee and/or ice cream I'll be happy.

Turtles sound amazing!!

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
3,390 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arguineguín or Anfi?

Please don't be put off the buses as we have always found the service to be great, the bus station area beside the Post Office in Puerto Rico is well signposted with all the relevant information and prices and usually has a member of staff available to answer questions. Depending on where you are staying I know some offer a packed lunch service if you are planning a day out

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico
Gran Canaria, Spain
Essex, UK
Level Contributor
109 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arguineguín or Anfi?

Thank you for the reply. Much appreciated.

I'll bear the buses in mind, however, this will be my first ever solo holiday and as a relatively novice traveller I wanted to make things simple by sticking to what I know best - at least the first time. I will ask about the packed lunch but to be honest I don't mind paying for a small snack. I may get braver as the week progresses, lol.

Ireland
Level Contributor
4,469 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Arguineguín or Anfi?

Yes Panda, you WILL get braver! :-) As said already, the bus timetable on the wall at the station is childs play.

It was only my second solo trip, when I went to G/Canaria, and like you, I took it slow and easy and at a pace I was comfortable with.

Since then I have done Crete/Santorini, Canada, Turkey, mainland Spain and Cyprus, (lost count how many return visits to Puerto Mogan) on my own.

Once you've "mastered" one or two local transport journeys, no matter how short, you will fee confident enough to do anything! :-D

Just remember, people are the same the world over. A smile is the same in any language (so is "get lost!") and even if my fluency leaves a lot to be desired, I do manage the basic, Please and Thank you. Locals seem to appreciate the effort. Go and have a ball.

Mentioned in this post
Crete
Crete
Greece
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Spain
Spain
Europe
Hotel Puerto Palace
Hotel Puerto Palace
884 Reviews
Tenerife, Spain
Mogan
Mogan
Gran Canaria, Spain
Essex, UK
Level Contributor
109 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Arguineguín or Anfi?

Thank you for your very inspirational message :) I've only ever been abroad with other people before, but once I've done it a few times I'll be fine. I didn't get in a plane until just a few years ago (fear of flying) but now I just try to treat it as a means to an end. I'll never enjoy flying but I simply tolerate it. Am mega-impressed with your solo long-haul (never gone further than Europe myself). I always take a phrase book with me and I do try to do the basics (hello / goodbye / thankyou) wherever possible. It all adds to the holiday experience in my opinion. Although I've been to Corfu, Cyprus and a few other places, The Canaries are my favourite islands for some winter sun.

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Corfu
Corfu
Ionian Islands, Greece
Ireland
Level Contributor
4,469 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Arguineguín or Anfi?

Just sent you a message.

Once you get the hang of it, you won't want to travel with other people again! They cramp my style now!

I'd never travelled abroad until the ripe old age of 49! Don't think the Irish sea really counts, does it?!

The long haul was a long-time dream and has a huge story behind my reasons for it. I'll write my memoirs one day. Lol

Agree, the Canaries are the ONLY place for affordable winter sun. Forgot I went to Lanzarote too once...

Essex, UK
Level Contributor
109 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Arguineguín or Anfi?

Lol, I admire your attitude towards solo travel.

I've been to Lanzarote twice and Tenerife once. I did Cran Canaria 2012 and really loved it.

I love boat trips so staying close to the Marina is an ideal location. I didn't go downstairs on the Bluebird Boat last time (when I went to Mogan) but I will this time. Pretty much decided on Arguineguin.

Mentioned in this post
Tenerife
Tenerife
Canary Islands, Spain
Mogan
Mogan
Gran Canaria, Spain
Arguineguin
Arguineguin
Gran Canaria, Spain
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Rico