We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Porthleven

Isle of Man
Level Contributor
200 posts
200 reviews
Save Topic
Porthleven

Our week in Porthleven is getting nearer, can't wait! I've got lots of places planned to visit thanks to everybody's help in suggesting places when I originally posted a request for info about the area.

This is going to sound sad.........!! I'm a keen runner and always take my trainers away with me and try and get a few sessions in whilst I'm away. Does anybody know any good routes around Porthleven? We're staying on the harbour (Mount Pleasant road) in the Mackeral Buildings - I usually do a 5 mile round trip, and am used to both hills and strong winds (with living on the Isle of Man!) so if anybody local can recommend a route I'd be grateful.

Also, days out. We really want to see St Ives, Penzance, the Lizard, Land's End, the Minack Theatre but if anyone can recommend other more less well known places within driving distance it would be lovely to hear about them (though we will have our dog with us, so places that aren't dog-friendly won't be a possibility).

And finally eating! I've heard about the Harbour Inn and Ship Inn, any other recommendations? Again, they really need to be dog friendly as our apartment have said we can't leave the dog in alone so we're not looking at restaurants, more pubby places.

Can't wait to get back to Cornwall - lost my heart to the place last May when we went to Polperro, and I'm so looking forwad to getting back!

Mentioned in this post
Isle of Man
Isle of Man
United Kingdom
St Ives
St Ives
Cornwall, UK
Penzance
Penzance
Cornwall, UK
Minack Theatre
Minack Theatre
4,157 Reviews
Penzance, UK
The Harbour
The Harbour
191 Reviews
Newquay, UK
Cornwall
Cornwall
England, UK
Polperro
Polperro
Cornwall, UK
The Hideaway
£, Cafe, British
SeaDrift Kitchen Cafe
££ - £££, Steakhouse, Seafood, British
Twisted Currant
££ - £££, British, Cafe
Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,505 posts
343 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Porthleven

Hi

Can't really help with the running,but the coast path is there and would be suitable in most places.

Whilst you're out and about,do take the B3306 coast road from St Just to St Ives, one of the most scenic in Cornwall.

Whilst down around the Lizard, Kynance cove which is very close is beautiful,and its a lovely walk( or run :) ) along the coast path .

Also worth looking at is Coverack, Sennen Cove and Cape Cornwall, all of which are down in the far West.

Its got some stunning coastline and their are great cliff walks all along that area to enjoy with the dog.

Mentioned in this post
Cornwall
Cornwall
England, UK
Cape Cornwall
Cape Cornwall
440 Reviews
St Just, UK
Bournemouth
Level Contributor
576 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Porthleven

From where you are staying at The Mackeral Building you can run right the way to Loe Bar, it is approx 2 miles from Porthleven. Go to the opposite side of the harbour head then towards the clock tower then follow the road out towards Loe Bar.

You will also get sight of some of the other wonderful cottages that are holiday lets.

Peregian Springs...
Level Contributor
11 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Porthleven

Kota restaurant is the best in the village. Its a fusion of Asian food using local seafood and meat. Its situated right in the centre of the village next to the harbour. It also has a great wine list and dessert menu. They have a website which will give you more info. I'm not sure what you would do with the dog though.

Other gems in Cornwall are Prussia Cove (on the road to Penzance) which is a lovely walk with your dog and Penrose Walks which loops behind Porthleven starting at Loe Bar.

Edited: 03 April 2010, 00:46
Mentioned in this post
Kota Restaurant
Kota Restaurant
631 Reviews
Porthleven, UK
Cornwall
Cornwall
England, UK
Penzance
Penzance
Cornwall, UK
Isle of Man
Level Contributor
200 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Porthleven

Thanks everyone - will definitely follow up all your suggestions. Really looking forward to seeing Cornwall again :-D

Mentioned in this post
Cornwall
Cornwall
England, UK
Nashville
Level Contributor
1 post
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Porthleven

Hope this post is not too late for you---I have been going to Porthleven for over 10 years and do love it there. I'd definitely recommend the Ship Inn, also you should check out the Atlantic, up on Peverell Terrace. Decent food there as well. Also, I think the recently re-opened Amelie's at the Smokehouse down on the harbour, near the Ship, may have outdoor seating and maybe your doggie would be welcome there. The food is excellent. Would second the recommendation that you visit Kynance Cove, you can do a walk with breath-taking views from there to Lizard Village. Also recommend you visit Cadgwith if possible. So many beautiful places to see down in that part of the world! Hope you have a wonderful trip and good weather.

Bournemouth
Level Contributor
576 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Porthleven

We certainly second you for Porthleven. In fact one person on TA has even remarked about how I am always recommending Porthleven. It is a place in a million.

I lived in Cornwall many years ago so know Cornwall very well. We pop back to Corwall on a regular basis . Not just to Porthleven but all over. But there is something very special for us in Porthleven.

Edited: 02 May 2010, 21:34
Mentioned in this post
Cornwall
Cornwall
England, UK
Isle of Man
Level Contributor
200 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Porthleven

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, much appreciated. One last question - does anyone know where the nearest Asda or Sainsburys (or Tesco) is to Porthleven? We want to stop on our way down (coming M5 then A30) and pick up some basics for the week, then are hoping to shop locally for fresh stuff. (We only have Tesco here on the Isle of Man so like the chance to have a look at Asda and Sainsburys when we get the chance - isn't that sad thing to admit??!!).

Mentioned in this post
Isle of Man
Isle of Man
United Kingdom
Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,505 posts
343 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Porthleven

Hi

The nearest Tesco is in Helston and a Sainsburys is being built now but i don't think its ready for a while. There is an ASDA in Penryn nr Falmouth, its easy to find - on the main road from Helston into Falmouth.

Mentioned in this post
Falmouth
Falmouth
Cornwall, UK
Bournemouth
Level Contributor
576 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Porthleven

In Porthleven there is a small Spar like store one minutes walk from where you are staying.

There is a Tesco in Helston. What we have always done is have the shopping delivered by Tesco. Makes life a lot easier. Although the Tesco is not far away in Helston.

There is a Coop Store in Helston aswell.

How long is it before you go ?

Isle of Man
Level Contributor
200 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Porthleven

We leave the Island on Thursday - breaking the journey at Gloucester for one night, then have the apartment in Porthleven from the Friday for one week. Really looking forward to it! Thanks for everybody's help/suggestions :-D

Mentioned in this post
Gloucester
Gloucester
Cotswolds, UK
Get answers to your questions about Porthleven
Recent Conversations