We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for driving route for 6-7 days in Cornwall.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
31 posts
217 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for driving route for 6-7 days in Cornwall.

My husband and myself are going to rent a car for 9 days in October from Southhampton airport and hope to spend 7 days or so touring Cornwall and finishing with 2 days in the Cotswolds before flying out again. We are from NZ and have only ever been to London before but we are seasoned travelers and drivers having lived in other countries for long periods at different times. What will the weather be like at this time? Can anyone offer a suggested route for our driving. We love coastal scenery, small villages, are avid walkers and would like to do a day walk in a mining/railway historical area and we are big foodies. And any suggestions for places to stay either in the cute or great view categories???

Thanks

Vertical Blue Adventures
Water Sports, Equipment Hire, Kayaking & Canoeing, Stand-Up Paddleboarding
Loe Pool
Bodies of Water
Cornwall UK
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for driving route for 6-7 days in Cornwall.

Hi, October last year was glorious, who knows whether it'll be the same this year but I hope so!

As for your route, I would start at the A39 at Bude and work your way down towards Padstow, you can take the coast road from there down to Newquay passing plenty of beautiful beaches and villages on the way, then through Newquay hug the coast to Perranporth, St Agnes, Porthtowan, Porteath, Hells Mouth, Gwithian, Hayle, St Ives - etc etc I won't carry on naming each coastal town, but basically follow the coast all the way around Cornwall from the top of the North Coast around to South East Cornwall then on to the Cotswolds.

Check out www.facebook.com/dreamsofcornwall for pictures from around the coast, particularly check out St Nectans Glen near Tintagel (birthplace of King Arthur) as that's a lovely walk - you're spoilt for choice around here for decent driving roads and beautiful walks! Have a great time.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
31 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for driving route for 6-7 days in Cornwall.

That's great thanks. Can you suggest which would be good sleep over points along the way with regard to driving times and what there is to see in each area .

Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
3,788 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for driving route for 6-7 days in Cornwall.

http://www.cornwall-online.co.uk/weather.htm

Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
946 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for driving route for 6-7 days in Cornwall.

I only know the West but I would suggest St Agnes (mining, beautiful cove with nice brewery/restaurant - the Driftwood soars), St Ives (beautiful, also good for base around West Cornwall mining area - Geevor / Levant are must sees if you are interested in mining), then maybe somewhere like Marazion or Porthleven (look up St michael's mount and see if that would be interesting), then Falmouth via a drive round Lizard peninsula (lots of beautiful coves)

I could easily fill a couple of weeks in west Cornwall alone, so let us know if thus kind of thing appeals and I'm sure others will come up with suggestions at the other end of Cornwall.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
31 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for driving route for 6-7 days in Cornwall.

Those suggestions sound great thanks everyone.

6. Re: Suggestions for driving route for 6-7 days in Cornwall.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 April 2014, 17:15
Get answers to your questions about Porthleven
Recent Conversations