We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Porthleven worth seeing?

Bournemouth...
Level Contributor
27 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Porthleven worth seeing?

Hello,

Me and my husband are coming to Cornwall this Saturday and are looking for places to see,

is Porthleven worth a daytrip or half day?

we've never been to Cornwall so not sure which places to see!

we are staying in Marazion.

Thanks

20 replies to this topic
Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Porthleven worth seeing?

Most places in Cornwall, including Porthleven, are worth seeing. However, unless you want to use it as a base for a good coastal walk, you would probably only want to spend an hour or two at the most. If you have a car it could easily be combined with a tour of the Lizard peninsular.

Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
6,539 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Porthleven worth seeing?

Good for 2-3 hrs IMO

Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
948 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Porthleven worth seeing?

It's a good base for circular walks, especially involving a bus - the number 2 goes between Marazion, Praa Sands, Porthleven and Helston, so you can walk from a stop to another. There's a great walk from Porthleven to Helston via Loe Bar - goes along the beach and then around a lake.

Porthleven is a lovely little place, but not a lot of remarkable buildings or specific things to look at.

Bournemouth...
Level Contributor
27 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Porthleven worth seeing?

thanks for your replies,

we will probably twin it with seeing The Lizard then and just go there for part of the day :)

does anyone know what the pub is like there think it's called the Harbour Inn or something? just saw a picture of it somewhere and thought it looked nice and we could have a spot of lunch there

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Porthleven worth seeing?

There are quite a few places to eat around Porthleven Harbour. The Harbour Inn does decent pub food but I have a slight preference for the Ship Inn (perched above the outer harbour on the right-hand side as you look out to sea) or Amelie's at the Smokehouse which is also opposite the Harbour Inn. I suggest you have a look when you get there - you're unlikely to starve in Porthleven.

Bournemouth...
Level Contributor
27 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Porthleven worth seeing?

Great thanks for the recommendations :) we'll just see what one we fancy when we get there

Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
948 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Porthleven worth seeing?

Lots of my acqaintances recommend Kota in Porthleven, but I've never been.

Harbour Inn is fine, st Austell joint with pub grub.

Bournemouth...
Level Contributor
27 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Porthleven worth seeing?

thanks for all your help, does anyone know of a decent car park fairly near the harbour?

Level Contributor
3,335 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Porthleven worth seeing?

Kota is an amazing restaurant. Superb food, casual atmosphere. Needs booking.

I love Porthleven but for me it's better as a place to stay as a base than to go to for specific sightseeing. It's a pretty little town with good cafes and restaurants and excellent access to the coast path, plus lots of holiday cottages - but not much in the way of actual sights.

So I'd always recommend it for a week's stay - but weirdly, not so much for a day trip. Does that make sense?

2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Porthleven worth seeing?

half a day unless you trty the pubs and restaurants - some great food and shops

Reply to: Porthleven worth seeing?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Porthleven
Recent Conversations