We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mallaig to the Highlands

Which Mallaig hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ft lauderdale, FL
Level Contributor
99 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Mallaig to the Highlands

Would Mallaig be a good position to visit the Highlands as well as Islands. Thank you.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,496 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Mallaig to the Highlands

Great for getting to the Isles, lousy for anything else. Just have a look at Google Maps

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,594 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mallaig to the Highlands

No, it is remote, although the road to it has recently been upgraded.

The railway was built to it to provide employment and allow the fish to reach a market.

The better places for bases are - Oban (many island ferries); Fort William (much accommodation and big hills nearby); Inverness (last big place for miles; good road, rail and air links), Aviemore (holiday town in the Highlands - good road/rail)), etc.

ft lauderdale, FL
Level Contributor
99 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mallaig to the Highlands

Thanks for answering my question. Could you tell me if you think this is a good itinerary: 2 days Edinburgh, 2 days Nairn, 2 days Skye, 1 day Ft William, 1 day Loch Lomand (in that order). Thanks for your help. Nan

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,594 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mallaig to the Highlands

Nan,

Any itinerary could be a good itinerary. It depends what you want out of it?

I like Nairn, but I wonder what makes you spend 2 days there - the same as the capital? I'm not criticising in any way - just curious.

california
Level Contributor
792 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Mallaig to the Highlands

I would drop Nairn and perhaps Ft. William.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Mallaig to the Highlands

What is the reasoning behind your comment Dodger?

I assume you have chosen Nairn in preference to Inverness as a place to stay?

There is plenty to do and see if you are prepared to drive - ruins of Elgin Cathedral, Cawdor Castle, Fort George, Clava Cairns, Culloden Battlefield, whisky distilleries....

Have you come across the Undiscovered Scotland website? This is the map for the area around Inverness and Nairn. Click on the red links for text pages with information and pictures. Then follow the green links on the text pages for more ideas.

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/usmapindexes/nort…

Apart from the fact there is a lot of driving, your itinerary makes sense and is do-able.

Eleanor

california
Level Contributor
792 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Mallaig to the Highlands

eesw, Nairn is ok, but not for two nights. Good golf course. Ft. William is a jumping off place to better visit other sites. No on Inverness, never liked it, but a good starting point to the Orkneys.

ft lauderdale, FL
Level Contributor
99 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mallaig to the Highlands

Thanks, Eleanor, for your input. We don't mind driving - seems that is what we like most - seeing the natural beauty is more memorable and enjoyable to us, especially after seeing tons of castles, battlefields, shopping, etc. So, we thought we would stay at Nairn as a sleeping place only and drive from there to various spots. Of course, we would love to walk around, eat, brouse, in all the lovely cities, towns, etc. but time doesnt allow. Inverness, along the river, looks great, but then when I see pix of all the modern bldgs, I get turned off. If not for that I would definitely stay in Inverness for two nights because the old buildings are great, and the river walk. We like small towns for a few days to become part of the ambience, but thats not always necessary. Fishing villages are great for that - always seems like there's lots of energy even though small. What do you think the possibility is of going to the Orkneys, if we just stayed in Inverness for one night just to sleep, eat dinner, walk around at night. Do you agree that Ft William can just be visited for the day and then head elsewhere to sleep. We are not hikers but we would walk the Mountain most of the day that we were there. I havent researched Orkneys yet. Is it worth going there? I have been checking Undiscovered Scotland quite a bit. So, thanks again for all your help.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Mallaig to the Highlands

From your comments it sounds as if Nairn will suit you. Inverness is big. Likewise Fort William, you may be happier finding somewhere smaller to spend the night. Ballachulish/Glencoe/Linlochleven area is a possibility.

You asked about Orkney.....

This can be done as a day tour from Inverness

http://www.jogferry.co.uk/inver.htm

BUT it is a very long day with a lot of driving. The ferry crossing can also be rough depending on winds. You have a reasonable amount of time in Orkney and have chance to see the highlights (Scara Brae, Ring of Brodgar , Standing Stones of Stenness, Italian Chapel chapel). It sounds as if you do have chance to go round Scara Brae, but the stones and Churchill Barriers you may only see from the coach with a photo stop. Kirkwall Cathedral is a beautiful building and there is the ruined Earl's and Bishop's Palace near by (extra charge). We were disappointed by Kirkwall. It had some nice buildings but is now very much geared up for the tourist trade, especially off the large cruise liners which call in there.

I'm not quite sure what has prompted the question about Orkney. Is it in response to Dodger's comments? One of the dangers with Trip Adviser is that everyone throws out suggestions and if you try and include them all your itinerary rapidly becomes too crammed and you end up rushing around trying to fit everything in but not actually having chance to stop and enjoy it.

Orkney is a mind blowing place and stuffed with ancient remains. A day trip very much hits the highlights. Only you know whether this is worth it. We spent a week on Orkney and I know we would have been frustrated by the day tour as it wouldn't have given us chance to stop and go at our own speed and spend as long as we want at places. I personally would spend the time around the Inverness area as there is so much to do and see round there and leave Orkney for another time - possibly tied in with Shetland. Now that would make for a fantastic holiday.....

Eleanor

ft lauderdale, FL
Level Contributor
99 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mallaig to the Highlands

Hi Eleanor: Sorry I am getting back to you so late, but life got in the way. Would you be able to tell me what natural beauty areas we can drive to from our two day stay at nairn or inverness. As I said earlier, we have seen many ruins of castles, churches, abbeys, etc. so I am not too eager for that. Certainly, if they are on the way I would stop by. Is Iona worth the trip and is it possible? Would it take most of the day? I love the history surrounding it. Thanks again for all your help. I really value your input. Nan