We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to eat/drink in Mallaig

Level Contributor
92 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Places to eat/drink in Mallaig

My family and I are travelling on the Jacobite train journey during our holiday in the Highlands, can anyone recommend any good pubs / restaurants / cafes where we can grab a bite to eat and a drink during our stop in Mallaig. Our stay in Mallaig lasts for 1hr 45mins, that includes walking time from/to railway station, any suggestions would be much appreciated. Don't know if days & time of year may effect our options but we're doing the journey on a Sunday in September.

Mentioned in this post
Mallaig
Mallaig
Lochaber, UK
27 replies to this topic
Drumnadrochit...
Level Contributor
96 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Places to eat/drink in Mallaig

You said: "2. I arrived in Mallaig on the train at 5.45pm on a Sunday and was going back to Glasgow the following day at 10.10am. What else was I going to do other than stay the night? !"

So it took you three hours to figure out that you were going to need dinner? You've already said that you'd had little to eat since leaving Glasgow in the morning. So surely by the time you got off the train you could have grabbed some food from one of the many pubs and restaurants in Mallaig?

"Mallaig is grey, dull, unfriendly, dour and dead." Are you sure? Is it possible you came up with this as you spotted your reflection staring back at you from the waters of Mallaig harbour? Your own look of despondency mirrored in the glassy sea, a man looking to start a fight when there is none to be had. The beauty of the West Coast lost on the self indulgent wallowings a wee bodach. Across the water in Knoydart the mountain Ladhar Bheinn shook its heathery head and looked towards Skye. The Sgitheanachs smiled and whispered, 'Seall, amadan' and laughed.

Don't blame Mallaig for your lack of common sense.

Mentioned in this post
Mallaig
Mallaig
Lochaber, UK
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Isle of Skye
Isle of Skye
The Hebrides, UK
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
65,635 posts
453 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Places to eat/drink in Mallaig

As has already been said, it is purely a question of demand. There will be very limited, if any, demand for an evening meal at 8.45 on a Sunday evening out of season. No business is going to open its kitchen on the off chance that a passing traveller fancies a plate of fish and chips.

My own village has no hot food after 8.30pm on Sundays, despite it being a popular place with day trippers. The reason being, of course, that all the visitors have gone home by then.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Places to eat/drink in Mallaig

I personally have enjoyed passing through mallaig. I would not recommend the jacobite steam train because I think its overpriced and the windows are often too dirty to see much. The regular Scotrail train also goes from Fort Williams to Mallaig. Its a nice traditional scottish harbour town to pass through on one's way to skye or on the Jacobite train...but like others have said just make sure you don't expect a lot.

To answer your original question, I highly recommend the Fish Market...but get there fast once the train arrives in Mallaig because it is a small and popular restaurant. I've had some of the best cullen skink in Scotland there. In general, there is a lot of fresh fish coming off the boats so thats the best stuff to eat.

Mentioned in this post
Mallaig
Mallaig
Lochaber, UK
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Derby, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Places to eat/drink in Mallaig

Clachain Inn. Good quality seafood, excellent Cullen Skink (much better than that from the old forge in Inverie and cheaper too!) and really nice staff. Decor and music might not be to everyone's taste but we went twice and liked it both times (they even let the dog in).

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Places to eat/drink in Mallaig

Is there a Clachaig Inn in Mallaig, Nick? If there is, that's a new one on me. The only Clachaig I know of is in Glencoe - which seems a long commute for Cullen Skink :-)

Mentioned in this post
Clachaig Inn
Clachaig Inn
876 Reviews
Ballachulish, UK
Mallaig
Mallaig
Lochaber, UK
Glencoe
Glencoe
Scottish Highlands, UK
Manchester, United...