We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Mallaig to Inverness via Isle of Skye

Which Mallaig hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Stamford...
3 posts
Save Topic
Travel from Mallaig to Inverness via Isle of Skye

My husband and I plan to train from Glasgow to Mallaig, overnight then rent a car. Next day we wanted to drive the Isle of Skye then head to Inverness. I'm trying to figure out if we can hire a car in Mallaig and drop off in Inverness, or hire a car in Mallaig, return to Mallaig then train up to Inverness. Other option was to go to Kyle of Lochalsh instead of Mallaig, rent a car, tour Skye then continue drive to Inverness and drop off car. Car rentals are a bit confusing.

Thanks,

Sharon G

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from Mallaig to Inverness via Isle of Skye

Only national chains will allow you to drop the car off somewhere else. By the time you get to Mallaig, your only options are a small garage just outside town, or a prearranged pickup when you get off the ferry - there's a local carhire company in Kyle of Lochalsh.

morarmotors.co.uk/vehicle-hire/car-hire-mall…

http://www.skyecarhire.co.uk/

Sixt have an office in Fort WIlliam and you can drop the car in Inverness.

I realise this probbly upsets plans for the Mallaig train, but I really don;t think you can pick up in Mallaig and drop in Inverness. Happy to be proved wrong.....

Leeds.West Yorks.
Level Contributor
600 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from Mallaig to Inverness via Isle of Skye

Both The Kyle of Lochalsh and Mallaig are very small places, they probably won't have car hire. Could be an idea to go to Inverness first then rent and drive to Mallaig, it's a lovely journey on the 'Road to The Isles' Glenfinnan Monument and Viaduct both en-route and interesting to see, but watch for the midges!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
716 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from Mallaig to Inverness via Isle of Skye

You could catch the ferry to Skye as foot passengers and hire a car at Armadale for the day, dropping it off at Kyle of Lochalsh. This Skye company does pick up and drop off at Armadale and Kyle: http://www.skyecarhire.co.uk/

Then catch the train from Kyle to Inverness, another scenic train route. :)

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,703 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from Mallaig to Inverness via Isle of Skye

No 3's solution is the best, also economical, as it avoids taking a vehicle on a ferry. Sixt don't do one-way rentals from Fort WIlliam

Stamford...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel from Mallaig to Inverness via Isle of Skye

Thank you for this. I like how this sounds and makes most sense for our trip. Hated the idea of backtracking since we only have limited time. Do you have a suggestion for overnight in Mallaig?

Thanks again,

67Swimmer57

Stamford...
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel from Mallaig to Inverness via Isle of Skye

New to this messaging. Not sure if I answered to # 3 or not. Will try again.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
716 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel from Mallaig to Inverness via Isle of Skye

Mallaig doesn't have a lot in the way of accommodation, restaurants, attractions etc, as it's small. You could go all the way from Glasgow to Skye in one day and stay in Skye instead of Mallaig. I'm planning to do this in April next year. This timetable shows the connections between the train from Glasgow and the ferry: calmac.co.uk/timetables/…

You could arrive in Armadale at 2.25 pm or 3.50 pm, pick up your hire car, then drive to your accommodation on the Isle of Skye.

There's lots to choose from on Skye: tripadvisor.com.au/Hotels-g186585-Isle_of_Sk… There are more than eight hotels - the listings are mixed up - so look at B&B's and Other Accommodation as well, or google Skye accommodation.

If your heart's set on staying in Mallaig, check out accommodation here: tripadvisor.com.au/Hotels-g635939-Mallaig_Lo… or google Mallaig accommodation :)

8. Re: Travel from Mallaig to Inverness via Isle of Skye

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 August 2014, 18:15