We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Pitlochry to Mallaig

Fairfield...
Level Contributor
146 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Pitlochry to Mallaig

In September we will be driving from Pitlochry to the Isle of Skye, catching the ferry in Mallaig. How much time should we allow for the journey (117 miles)? We were thinking of stopping in Fort William and also seeing the viaduct ... are there any other must see suggestions for the journey? I was hoping we could catch the 3:20p ferry.

Thanks!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
978 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Pitlochry to Mallaig

Thankfully there are no longer any single track sections, but nevertheless this is not a fast road. The section between Glenfinnan and Mallaig has now been upgraded to double track road. I would allow up to three hours for the drive, plus extra time for breaks. At Spean Bridge, a look at the Commando monument is also worth a stop.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,594 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Pitlochry to Mallaig

I wouldn't stop in Fort William. It's a dull place. Blair Atholl just north of Pitlochry has Blair Castle if you haven't already seen it. I normally stop at arisaig and Morar on this drive

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,988 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Pitlochry to Mallaig

Fort William is useful for shopping but there's nothing to see there. The shortest route between Pitlochry and Fort William is via Dalwhinnie, and it's very scenic. However, the longer southerly route via Crianlarich and Glencoe is even more scenic - if you are not visiting Glencoe at any other time during your trip, it might be worth considering taking this longer route to see it now.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,594 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Pitlochry to Mallaig

Great idea from Dhmellor. The route he describes is particularly scenic

Fairfield...
Level Contributor
146 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Pitlochry to Mallaig

Thanks for the replies. Uh oh - now I have even more to think about. It sounds like if we leave early enough from Pitlochry, we could do the more scenic route via Glencoe and still catch the afternoon ferry in Mallaig.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,988 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Pitlochry to Mallaig

Yes, If you leave Pitlochry first thing you'll easily be able to catch that ferry. Make sure you book it in advance.

7. Re: Driving from Pitlochry to Mallaig

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2014, 03:15