We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pinery Provincial Park?

Which Grand Bend hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario
Level Contributor
208 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Pinery Provincial Park?

I live about 2 hours drive away going by google maps. I have never been to the Pinery but hear alot of good things about it. The one thing that keeps coming up in all my reading is "book months ahead"

is this the same for tenting sites??

Would it be worth it to chance it for a weekend camping?

I may just shoot down there for a day (BBQ and Beach) with the wife and another family and check it out one day for the weekend.

Any input?

7 replies to this topic
Grand Bend, Canada
Level Contributor
25 posts
296 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pinery Provincial Park?

Best bet is to call first. The Pinery and the town of Grand Bend have been working hard on upgrades to the Pinery and bringing people in.

Check them out on facebook. The Pinery also has daily tweets about stuff.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
3,923 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Pinery Provincial Park?

You can see availability on the online reservation website.

https://reservations.ontarioparks.com/

Enter your info, including Pinery under #3 and the applicable number of tents under #4. Then you can see a list or map of available sites for your selected dates, or an availability calendar for individual sites. Works best if you select a particular campground within the Pinery PP.

Reservations can be made starting 5 months from your arrival date, so they're already open for dates up to mid September.

This goes for campground (drive-in) camping in all Ontario provincial parks.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
16,612 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pinery Provincial Park?

Old post from 2013

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
3,923 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Pinery Provincial Park?

ugh, missed that. Thanks

Ontario
Level Contributor
208 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pinery Provincial Park?

Bump,

I know about the Online reservation, I'm wondering more about the park?

People say its one busy park, and make sure you make a reservation before going, which is fine, I get that... but is it 'stupid' busy!!

You go for a day trip to chill out and find that hmmm, no spots at the beach, no picnic tables to use, no parking around, so much for chilling.

I have never been and just trying to get a feel for the place before making the drive.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pinery Provincial Park?

I haven't been in 3 years or so, but if it's just a day trip, I guess it depends which weekday you're going. I've never had a problem with finding a spot on the beach at Pinery but I usually went during the weekdays from what I remember.

It is a bustling park because there's so much to do there, I guess. So I always encounter a lot of cyclists and campers, but I don't think it's as busy as other parks, in my opinion. Sure, if you get there in the afternoon it can be pretty busy, but there are like 9 sections to the park. Never had a problem. We barbecue at Pinery every time we go. Unless you mean finding a picnic on the beach, I can't even remember if they have those. The picnic tables are behind the sand dunes.

Of course this is from my memory. A lot could have changed the last few years. My advice is just to get there early.

Grand Bend, Canada
Level Contributor
25 posts
296 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pinery Provincial Park?

The park is busy busy but not so busy that you feel crowded in and that there is no where to go. I would definitely make reservations should you be going and intend on camping just because you really don't want to take the chance and just show up. Especially on long weekends.

A little tip for the beach. Many people just go to the closest beach and at times it will seem pretty full. However even a small walk will find you some open space. If you bring your bikes though, you can bike to one of the beach sections further away, (or you could drive) and you'll find LOTS of empty beach space. Also, there is lots of parking at these separate beaches.

The main areas have lots of picnic tables and I have always been able to find one to use. I sometimes like to bring a blanket and sit in shaded areas as well and have never been bothered.

Overall, call ahead though. It will get you the info on ho busy the park is and you can ask these questions and get an accurate up to the moment answer from them. Have fun!

Reply to: Pinery Provincial Park?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Grand Bend