We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation from Santiago to Puerto Plata / Punta Cana

Which Santiago de los Caballeros hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation from Santiago to Puerto Plata / Punta Cana

My family and I will be flying into Santiago Airport and would like to spend some time in Puerto Plata / Punta Cana. Any suggestions on which is best for family travel with childern and tansportation from one another? Any recommendations / preferences between the two?

what is the distance between Santiago and other two locations. Would you recommend the split city travel?

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,827 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation from Santiago to Puerto Plata / Punta Cana

You may need to go to google maps.

Santiago to Puerto Plata you go north.

Punta Cana you have to go south and then way east.

Also the areas are as different. Santiago is the second largest city, An urban setting, Puerto Plata is a beach town with nearby Sosua and Cabarete. Plus a lot of local life and many things to do.

Punta Cana is an AI zone of resorts with Beach Vegging as the main activity.

The two areas do not combine well, STI to PC is about 5-6 hours drive. By bus it is two buses at least and most of a day to travel. PP is one hour 1/2 away by Caribe Tours bus or Metro. Very cheap and easy. Your best bet is STI/PP/Sousa/Cabarete.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation from Santiago to Puerto Plata / Punta Cana

Thank you for your advise, I may have a change in plans.

Now flying into Santo Domingo and all hotels are booked. Sounds like Puerto Plata is a hit. Is it difficult to get from Santo Domingo to Puerto Plata?

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,827 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation from Santiago to Puerto Plata / Punta Cana

If you land in the daytime you can take a caribe tours bus, it is about a 3-4 hour trip. Taxi from SDQ to Caribe Tours is 20 minutes and then the hourly bus. Last bus leaves at 7 p.m. to PP. There is also a Metro Bus but they go less frequently.

The bus travels via Santiago so you could stop there easily for a visit.

If just going to PP your best airport is POP but it is currently running wicked expensive as opposed to SDQ and STI.

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
41,082 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation from Santiago to Puerto Plata / Punta Cana

I would honestly pass on taking Caribe Tours. Service is horrible, buses are always running late, too many stops even unscheduled ones.

Take Metro, much better service, newer and more comfortable buses. Here's their website:

metroserviciosturisticos.com/rutas_horarios.…

Silvia

Santo Domingo...
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation from Santiago to Puerto Plata / Punta Cana

Caribe Tours does run late often. Metro is only slightly more expensive - in terms of dollars it comes down to a matter of 1 or 2 dollars. A private transfer will get you there the fastest. PM me for more details.

Toronto
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation from Santiago to Puerto Plata / Punta Cana

What is the best way (& most economical) way to get from Santiago to Punta Cana? Can I travel straight from Santiago and not past through Santo Domingo?

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,173 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation from Santiago to Puerto Plata / Punta Cana

Don't think you can do it with out gong through Santo Domingo.

Private transfer will probably be your best bet.

BObK

8. Re: Transportation from Santiago to Puerto Plata / Punta Cana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2014, 16:15
Get answers to your questions about Santiago de los...