We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best airport from treasure beach?

Which Treasure Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
cardiff
Level Contributor
152 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
best airport from treasure beach?

Can you please tell me which airport is closest to Treasure Beach as it kind of looks like it's in the middle between Kingston and Mo'Bay.

Or should I be asking which is the quickest and best road to which airport?!

Thank you!

United States
Level Contributor
10,812 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best airport from treasure beach?

I would start in Mo Bay. Plan on about 2hr (maybe a bit longer) and a cost of $US125 to $US150 for a taxi (1 to 4 people). This will be for a private transfer.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best airport from treasure beach?

montego bay is closer... the trip is usually about an hour and a half, but that part of the island saw a lot of damage with recent storms so this may be more like 2+ hours now...

the best road is to take the perimetre, but this isn't the quickest... the quicker route cuts thru the hills from mobay to ferris cross... it's kinda rough in the south half of that pass and i wouldn't expect recent weather to have improved that any...

Chelle

Jamaica
Level Contributor
891 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: best airport from treasure beach?

Kingston to TB is about 2.5 hours. After the storms last week the road from the West into TB was impassable, maybe it is clear now. 2 hours from Mobay is about right, you'll have to go via Ferris Cross, as Newmarket is still flooded.

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio
Level Contributor
12,786 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best airport from treasure beach?

MoBay is definitely closer and also a cheaper taxi ride. I'm guessing you are just booking your airfare now since you are asking which airport, so if you are not traveling for a month or so whatever this most recent storm did will likely be repaired by the time you arrive.

cardiff
Level Contributor
152 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best airport from treasure beach?

Hi,

Many thanks for all your replies.

I am travelling in January and have a flight booked from the UK into Kingston but back from Fort Lauderdale. I need to book an Air Jamaica flight into FLL from either Kingston or Montego Bay for the end of my Jamaica trip.

It's our first trip to Jamaica - we're going to a friend's wedding in Ochos Rios(staying on the resort for a week) but afterwards plan on hiring a car (hubby gets really car sick when anyone else is driving) and spending a few days in Negril and then a few days in Treasure Beach - so any tips on a route/suggested itinerary for would be great. We have 9 days in total.

Many thanks!

United States
Level Contributor
10,812 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best airport from treasure beach?

I suggest hubby go to the NHS, or maybe Boots, to get something for car sickness. I would hire a car and a Jamaican driver to take you around the island. Renting a car in Jamaica is not recommended for many reasons.

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio
Level Contributor
12,786 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best airport from treasure beach?

I wrote a blog post on driving in Jamaica. I love to do it, many people do not - you might just look it over if you haven't been to JA before:

…blogspot.com/2010/05/driving-in-jamaica-my-…

With 9 days coming from Ocho Rios and leaving from Montego Bay you have lots of choices, and what you do depend on your taste, how much you like to move around, etc.

I love Treasure Beach and think that's a great choice. I love Negril less, but it's worth seeing since you are in the area. Maybe a few nights in Duncans Bay (45 minutes westof Ochi and 45 minutes east of MoBay) on your way from Ochi or before the airport - I love it there - http://www.myjamaicajewel.com

In Negril I love Catcha Falling Star on the cliffs best.

In Treasure Beach Mar Blue is my favorite boutique splurge hotel.

Since you have the time consider a day trip into the cockpits (from Duncans Bay or from Treasure Beach they're right there).

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
767 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best airport from treasure beach?

what are cockpits?

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio
Level Contributor
12,786 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best airport from treasure beach?

This shows better than I can explain: http://cockpitcountryjamaica.com/

Basically it is the interior of the island on the central/western end. An area that is largely undeveloped as the terrain is too rough to farm or build much on, so it's a great area for nature, birds, scenery, etc etc. It's mountains but also limestone "craters", with lots of caves and rivers and underground lakes and stuff.

cardiff
Level Contributor
152 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best airport from treasure beach?

That's great! Thank you for the suggestions and links, I will definately investigate!

The reason we decided on both Negril and Treasure Beach was to mix it up a bit. We love live music and figure on getting a good vibe in Negril, but we also like to visit more off-the-beaten track places and get into the community and village life, which is why we thought of Treasure Beach and it not being too far away, either from Negril or Montego Bay - we didn't want to be on the move too much, but rather base down in one place for a few days and do day trips from there.

Get answers to your questions about Treasure Beach