We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kingston Airport - where to stop overnight?

Ashby-de-la-Zouch...
Level Contributor
4 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Kingston Airport - where to stop overnight?

We fly into Kingston Airport at 8pm (evening) - 2 adults and 2 children. We need to get to Treasure Beach but have been advised to wait until the next morning to venture onto the Jamaican roads. Can anyone advise a safe and decent hotel near Kingston Airport that we can use for the one night? Also, is it best to book a driver or is car hire ok?

Treasure Tours
Cultural Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Sightseeing Tours
The Mud Palace Gallery
Gift & Speciality Shops, Art Galleries
Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio, Treasure Beach
Level Contributor
13,289 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kingston Airport - where to stop overnight?

Wherever you are staying in Treasure beach can send a driver for you.

Only one hotel near the airport, Morgan's Harbor, and I hear it might be closed. But if it's open I'd do that- take the kids to see pirate stuff in the AM, it's all right there in Port Royal.

Several good hotels in New Kingston, mostly cater to business people. Spanish Court, Liguanea Club, Pegasus, might be a Hilton?

Kingston, Jamaica
Level Contributor
2,581 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kingston Airport - where to stop overnight?

Morgan's Harbour Hotel is closeby. There are several options in Kingston, Spanish Court is one of the better ones but choice probably depends on your price range.

Even though you're from the UK, and drive on the same side of the road, I think it would be better to hire a driver. Driving into a strange city in the dark, after a 9 hour flight may not be easy. You may well be approached by the JUTA rep as you leave the airport, if not simply go to their desk, on the left just before the exit, and arrange transport.

Kingston, Jamaica
Level Contributor
2,581 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kingston Airport - where to stop overnight?

Morgan's Harbour Hotel was open early this year, when / where did you hear it was closed ohliz? It was closed a year or so ago, though open for functions. I haven't had cause to visit recently so it could be closed.

The Hilton is in New Kingston, right alongside the other large hotels.

Ashby-de-la-Zouch...
Level Contributor
4 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kingston Airport - where to stop overnight?

Many thanks for the information. I had seen on a map Morgans harbour hotel was the nearest and avoided us going into kingston. I will look at prices. Thanks also about the driving information.

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,289 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kingston Airport - where to stop overnight?

Here JA soldier, awhile back. There was some confusion as to whether it was open for only private events or functioning as a public hotel still. If i were planning to stay there I'd call and check.

Kingston, Jamaica
Level Contributor
2,581 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kingston Airport - where to stop overnight?

I think it's likely to be still open ohliz, it's some time back that it was functions only.

NewtoJamaica: With a mid evening landing, 8pm at Norman Manley, better to book a room in advance wherever you plan to stay. Morgan's Harbour telephone number - 967 8030

Ashby-de-la-Zouch...
Level Contributor
4 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kingston Airport - where to stop overnight?

Thanks for the tips and phone number. Going to sort it soon but we don't come out till July

England
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kingston Airport - where to stop overnight?

I've flown into Kingston from the UK several times on the late Virgin/BA flights. At that time of night, when the traffic has subsided, it's around a three hour transfer into Treasure Beach. I always get a driver from Treasure Tours (based in Treasure Beach) to pick me up and then the time difference means that I fall asleep for most of the journey. It's nowhere near as painful as you might think!

Ashby-de-la-Zouch...
Level Contributor
4 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kingston Airport - where to stop overnight?

Thanks - that's really useful info. The people we are renting the villa from suggested Island Tours so we were going to use them in the morning as we had been told the roads are not great at night. But if you have been driven in the evening then that will save us the cost of an overnight hotel stay. Would you recommend a car hire once we get to treasure beach or rely on drivers? Thanks

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,289 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kingston Airport - where to stop overnight?

Driving in TB is not difficult in that there is little traffic, but there is no place to rent a car there, you'd have to have it delivered from Montego Bay (or pick it up in Kingston). You can rent a scooter or bicycles there to get around and use drivers for longer trips.

Get answers to your questions about Treasure Beach