We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

jakes - deluxe garden view or standard ocean view

wiltshire
Level Contributor
42 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
jakes - deluxe garden view or standard ocean view

We are staying 4 nights at Jakes very soon. Have booked a standard ocean view room, but a deluxe garden view has become available. Does anyone who has stayed at Jakes have any advice as to whether the upgrade would be worth it? I think they're a bit larger, and have AC. But then we lose the sea view..... decisions decisions!

Malvern, Jamaica
Level Contributor
324 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: jakes - deluxe garden view or standard ocean view

i have not stayed at jakes....

but what i do know is that there is almost always a sea breeze in treasure beach,

also take into account that it is january the coolest time of the year.....

personally i would keep the sea view, nothing beats a great view

Hockessin, DE
Level Contributor
94 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: jakes - deluxe garden view or standard ocean view

christine, where did you end up staying? We are looking to book at Jakes for next Jan and are having the same questions? Which room? and why?

Many thanks hope you had a great trip

wiltshire
Level Contributor
42 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: jakes - deluxe garden view or standard ocean view

We had a great trip. My review is 13 March "Wonderful Place". We ended up staying in Seahorses Down, the deluxe garden view. Which was lovely. We did not miss the ocean view as you are only moments from being able to sit out in one of many public areas, overlooking the sea. The gardens are actually lovely, so we very much enjoyed watching lizards, birds etc whilst having coffee on our porch.... All the individual rooms are great I think. The only ones which have a little less character, if you're looking to enjoy the quirkiness of the rooms, are Tiki Tiki and the other bungalows (though they're great if one were staying as a family). I even took at peak at the cheapest room, conch, which was vacant. And that was lovely too... [only thing one would miss would be an awning over one's head if it rained and one wanted to sit out....as conch and coral don't have a porch as such, even though they have their own sitting out areas]. I would book to budget. Don't overstretch, as meals/drinks etc are extra and it would be a shame to feel pinched. The swanky expensive cottages looked lovely, but are in an entirely different budget range... I may well book standard ocean view another time, just to get the deck overlooking the sea. But I think our seahorses room had just a little more space, which we appreciated too. The only potential tiny negative of seahorses down was that the wardrobe area is in the bathroom, and a little small. Couldn't hang a long dress efficiently.... You don't need much gear as it's all so relaxed, so if packing light it's no problem. Ironically Conch had better wardrobe space when I peeked at it! We had a gorgeous holiday. And hope to go back as well end of this year/next year.

Hope that's helpful.

wiltshire
Level Contributor
42 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: jakes - deluxe garden view or standard ocean view

p.s air con was nice but by no means a must have, when we went in january.

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio, Treasure Beach
Level Contributor
13,409 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: jakes - deluxe garden view or standard ocean view

Thanks for the review! We went by Jake's last week for a drink at sunset. I've never stayed but have been by several times to eat or drink and it is a unique spot.

Rochester, New...
Level Contributor
69 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: jakes - deluxe garden view or standard ocean view

I am finding Jake's website to be a bit confusing, but I'm sure it's just me. Where are the ocean and garden view rooms located?

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio, Treasure Beach
Level Contributor
13,409 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: jakes - deluxe garden view or standard ocean view

The first "slide" here lets you see what's what but I haven't figured out how to make it stop going to the next slide other than to hit the back button and then again when it switches again. Still, the map does work, mouseover the names of the cottages or rooms to see what/where they are: http://www.jakeshotel.com/

Edited: 29 October 2013, 22:32
wiltshire
Level Contributor
42 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: jakes - deluxe garden view or standard ocean view

Ocean view are right on the ocean (decks look out straight onto the sea). Garden view are in the middle of the property. But really only 50 yards or so from the ocean.....and their decks/balconies look onto the pretty greenery that grows in the gardens. The property is pretty small, so none of the rooms are far from the sea. From memory Conch and Coral are garden view, Seahorse up and down, The Cowries. Starfish/Jellyfish are the more budget seaviews. Very nice though. Cheaper rooms are more basic (but absolutely charming). The multibedroom cottages have less of the distinctive charm of the rooms. Though do have sea view I think. And look great and good value for families.

Rochester, New...
Level Contributor
69 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: jakes - deluxe garden view or standard ocean view

Thanks ohliz and christine! Both of your answers helped me to clarify. Still uncertain though if we want the Jake's experience or a private villa for our group of 4 adults in March. Should I expect alot of families/children at Jake's?

wiltshire
Level Contributor
42 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: jakes - deluxe garden view or standard ocean view

I doubt you'd ever be overrun by children at Jakes. Whilst it's perfectly welcoming to children it does not make any particular concessions for them (other than the odd discrete workshop such as mosaic). And only a couple of the properties really lend themselves to the family thing (the2 and 3 bed cottages). Also, if I had a toddler I'm not sure I'd choose the resort, because I'd constantly be worried that the tots might fall of the cliffy bits. I'm sure that if you stay in a villa in the area you'll find yourself stopping by at Jakes, as it is one of the hubs of this quiet and lovely part of Jamaica. One of the beauties of TB is that you can wander about and visit different little eateries/beaches/bars, and enjoy rural coastal Jamaica at its best. I don't know if you're on a budget....but if I were at Jakes as two couples (apologies if that's not how the 4 is made up) then I'd book starfish and jellyfish together! On the sea, no danger of not liking your neighbours! They're pretty private when taken together. But they are the more basic type of room there. Super funky and stylish in my opinion....but most definitely not crammed with all mod cons!

Get answers to your questions about Treasure Beach