We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

decisions - decisions!!

UK
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
decisions - decisions!!

Hi there

I am looking for some help! My husband and I are coming to the AMI area in June. We are from Scotland and are not familiar with this area at all. I have read millions of reviews and comments regarding accomodation and I am very confused! I liked Harrington beach house but they cannot accomodate us. I like the look of Tortuga Inn - a studio would be fine for size as there will only be 2 of us. A kitchen area would be good for making snacks and a fridge for cold drinks. I would like it to be quiet, very clean and modern. I have looked at Tortuga on diff sites and it seems to go from 2* to 4* does anyone know the true rating? I have also read that they have a new section - does anyone know if you can specify the loation of the room?

Is the Tortuga a good location for 1st time visitors to the area? Can you walk to the beach/restuarants? Any other suggestions?

Sorry for all the questions - I really appreciate your help.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
1,452 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: decisions - decisions!!

Tortuga Inn is a decent quality place, reasonably well situated although nowhere is far from anywhere on AMI.

We have stayed at, and are staying next door at Bermuda Bay in April.Nice beach across the road, a couple of restaurants within reasonable walking distance - Beach House, Sun House, but will need to drive to most restaurants or use the free trolley, which applies wherever you stay.

Another option would be La Costa which is a group of 2 bed condos on the beach with shared pool. Floridiana, a contributor on this forum owns one - recently refurbished.

Restaurants to try - Rod and Reel Pier, City Pier, Sandbar, Beach house, Sun House, Star Fish Co. Mostly casual dining.

If want top drawer then try Beach Bistro

I`m sure you`ll love the island !!

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
1,398 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: decisions - decisions!!

We loved the Tortuga and have every intention of going back there but I would warn you against the studio which receives bad reviews because it is actually the 2nd bedroom of the two bedroom condo. (with a separate entrance)

Handy to restaurants, one minute walk to the beach and the free trolley stops at the foot of the driveway. What more could you want?

UK
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: decisions - decisions!!

Hi Steve

Thank you so much for all the info. I will take a note of all the restuarants and hopefully sample most of them.

We have been in Florida before but we stayed in Orlando most of the time in a villa and had to drive everywhere.

AMI looks so pretty I don't think we will want to come home!

UK
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: decisions - decisions!!

Hi Beermonger

Thanks for the info!

Does that mean if we take a 1 bed apt someone could be in the adjoining room? Do you think this is the case with all the studios? The one we were offered is in the garden block "F" it has it's own kitchen area. That would mean if you book a 2 bed you would have 2 kitchens?

I will have a think about this as it is $1000 for 6 nights in a studio!!

I appreciate your help.

essen, germany
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Anna Maria Island, Orlando
Level Contributor
3,981 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: decisions - decisions!!

Hey sunshine...

When in June do you want to go???

I really think that there will be a better option in June than 1000 $ for 6 days!

:-)

UK
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: decisions - decisions!!

Hi Floridianer

I am looking at the 9-15 June. I am having my doubts about Tortuga if the studio is a 2nd bedroom!

I will have another browse around first. I liked the standard of the rooms there.

Thanks again everyone for all your help.

Tampa
Destination Expert
for Anna Maria
Level Contributor
4,800 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: decisions - decisions!!

Sunshine, Check with Floridianer and see if his condo is available, you can private message him by clicking on his name. His condo at La Costa is awesome, very upscale with nice, new furnishings. The complex itself has also recently gone through renovations and is very nice, great tennis court and pool, right on the beach.

We love the Harringon House too, you know they have three other houses right near each other that are just as nice as the main inn and you get to use the pool and have the awesome breakfast, did you check those out?

If that doesnt work out for you let me rest your mind about Tortuga Inn, it is first class. I think the reason that the ratings are so different is some were before the renovations and the addition of the new building. The new building has granite counter tops, mexican tile floors and very upscale furnishings. Even the older units are as nice as you will find on the island. The location is great too, walking distance to most restaurants and the free trolly stops right in front of the Tortuga. I think you would be very happy with the property.

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
1,398 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: decisions - decisions!!

We stayed in the newer part of the Tortuga Inn and I can assure you that the "2nd bedroom" may be sold as a studio...the 2nd bedroom had it's own washroom, shower, bar fridge, microwave and separate entrance.

It's actually ingenuously (sp?) designed.

The two doors leading into the rest of condo from the 2nd bedroom were soundproofed somewhat as the bottom of the doors had an attachment to ensure they closed with little room to spare.

I am not knocking the Tortuga...just making sure you know what you are getting.

You could always call them and discuss however.

UK
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: decisions - decisions!!

Hi everyone

Thank you all for all the comments and helpful advice - I really do appreciate it.

I have discussed this in more detail with my hubbie and have decided we might not choose AMI this time as we have never been in this area before so it might be better staying somewhere more central (Sarasota?) to allow us easier access to other places north and south.

Then again I might change my mind again............ If i do i will def take all the advice on board. I wish i could just try a week in them all and not come home!

Regardless of where we end up we will spen at least a couple of days in AMI checking it out for our next stay as I know I am going to love it.

Tampa
Destination Expert
for Anna Maria
Level Contributor
4,800 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: decisions - decisions!!

Sunshine - Just make sure that you visit Anna Maria Island, once you do I am sure you will make plans to vacation there next year!

Get answers to your questions about Anna Maria Island