We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to eat?

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
259 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Where to eat?

We will be in Anna Maria Island in two weeks for our first trip to the island. I've read about all the wonderful restaurants and recommendations and still can't decide. We are only going to be on the island for 4 days, a nice long weekend getaway. We love seafood and want something with a great view or on the beach. Any recommendations for our short visit?

Thanks in advance,

Mangie

Tampa
Destination Expert
for Anna Maria
Level Contributor
4,814 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to eat?

Mangie, If you have read the recent recommendations you will be well prepared! The island does not have tons and tons of choices, thank goodness!

Top End is Beach Bistro, expenive but gourmet food and on the beach. Beautiful view, romantic, not for kids though. You will have to dress up just a bit.

Sandbar - you can sit out at one of the beach tables and have your toes in the sand while you eat. Food is alright but it is all about the view.

Sunhouse - Sit outsie on the upper deck, great food, great cocktails and wonderful view. I'd say my all time favorite.

Rod & Reel Pier - True "Old Florida" flavor, inexpensive and wonderful seafood, we like the crab cakes.

Bridgetender - Great happy hour, open air, view of the bay.

Duffy's - Cheap beer, best burger on the island, local people.

Those are the ones not to miss and these are also a good choice.

Beach House

Sign of the Mermaid

Oma's Pizza

Joe's Eats and Sweets

Decoy Duck

Mr. Bones

Gulf Drive Cafe

As far as I have experienced there is really no terrible places to eat on the island, at least none that I have experienced. I do not give "Skinny's" my business because of the history. The island is very lucky not have tourist traps all over the place. You may experience and "off" night at some spots but the majority of places are happy you are there and want to please so that you will come back and also pass the word!

Have a great trip!

OO
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
727 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to eat?

I love Beach Bistro and Sandbar. RustyKat is right, there is no beating Sandbar's view. Oh, me...Coconut shrimp salad with passion fruit dressing...drrrooool!! Beach Bistro is very small--you'll need reservations well in advance. They've won all sorts of Zagat awards.

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
259 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to eat?

Thanks so much for your help, this really does help me out. I looked at the web-sites and I really like Beach Bistro & Sandbar, just what I'm looking for. We are so excited about this trip and hope to be able to come back in the future. We love Key West so we know we will love Anna Maria Island.

Thanks again, only 15 more days left!

Tampa
Destination Expert
for Anna Maria
Level Contributor
4,814 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to eat?

Glad to help. I need to tell you though that we have been to Key West, in fact, just went during the Christmas/New Year vacation and Anna Maria is nothing like Key West. Key West is great, but give me Anna Maria Island any day. Key West is much more populated, lots more traffic, more commercial, all the beaches are man made and it is more of a "party" place. Anna Maria's beauty is in the laid back "beachy" atmosphere. There is no Duval Street, no strip clubs, I think that there are a total of 3 bars on the entire island. Most of the places are restaurants that just happen to have a bar in them. It is a very family oriented island. Dont get me wrong, I'm a party girl and I go to those 3 bars on the island :), I just want you to be aware of how different it is from Key West.

Don't worry, you are going to love it!

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
259 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to eat?

Thanks again, I know we will. This vacation is all about relaxing and enjoying the beach.

Hemel Hempstead...
Level Contributor
44 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to eat?

Don't forget to add the Waterfront to your list of restaurants to visit.

Mick

7. Re: Where to eat?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2009, 08:23
Get answers to your questions about Anna Maria Island