We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Know of great cottage/house rental on beach?

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
16 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Know of great cottage/house rental on beach?

Hello forum! We just booked our airfare for end of September. I'm a bit overwhelmed looking thru the vacation rental websites. Can anyone give me a specific recommendation based on your own stay? We are taking our 7 yr. old son. & we're going to be staying 4 nights. We want to stay somewhere great on Anna Maria Island - preferably on or SUPER close to the beach (i know - its all close to the beach - but i'm talking a stone's throw close). A pool would be awesome too. Oh, and of course as affordable as possible.

THANKS!

Stacey

Salem, Indiana
Level Contributor
153 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Know of great cottage/house rental on beach?

Stayce33--We were first timers over Thanksgiving this past year, and are getting ready in a few short days to return, thank goodness!!! I am really a stickler on having a place on the beach, almost to the point of, how many steps to the sand!!!!! I to looked and looked and was almost overwhelmed worring about it so I took the plunge and booked with VRBO. For the past 6 summers I had booked our house thru there on different beaches. I had also googled in depth to try and get the distance to the actual beach. We were extremely happy with the house that I choose. RIGHT on the beach, out the door, a few steps, and sand between your toes. There is no pool, but there are a few trees along this stretch of the beach that you could use for shade if you needed to. The house is not brand new, but has been kept very well and has that "old Florida Cottage" feel. We are returning to the same place in a few days with some of our grown children. It would be hard for me to try someplace else after staying here. Not for the accomodations, but for the location!!! The "Sandbar" is just steps away, which was a plus for us as we ate there several times and really enjoyed it. By the way the site is VRBO.com and the # is 74977. Good luck, you will be glad you decided to go to Anna Maria!!!!!! Just let the posts lead you, everyone gives great advice!!!!

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
51 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Know of great cottage/house rental on beach?

We stayed at the Bali Hai, which is right on the beach. We booked beach front, but there are other units not on the beach front, but within steps of the beach. We found it to be pretty reasonable price-wise, but the clincher for us was kitchenettes. We did breakfast and lunches at "home" and went out for dinners. We didn't want to book a whole home for just us and the Bali Hai was recommended to us. Very clean and tidy, roomy enough for everyone to spread out! Good luck- you will really enjoy the island!

PS They do have a pool also!

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
16 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Know of great cottage/house rental on beach?

Thanks alot guys! This forum is so wonderful. I've always depended on it (along w/ the other great features of tripadvisor) while planning our trips.

++I too research things to death - google's streetview has been AMAZING for helping to choose accomodations!++

I'll check on the Bali Hai & that VRBO rental as well. If anyone else has rec's please bring em on! :) Have a wonderful day!

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
1,452 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Know of great cottage/house rental on beach?

Depends on your budget but annamaria.com have some stunning places right on the beach

http://annamaria.com/

Following are 2 and 3 bed townhouses just across from the beach ( speak to Richard Bond, he will always do a deal that time of year as its quiet season )

floridabeachnbayproperty.com/bin/web/real_es…

other option is coconuts - slightly worn but great location and friendly staff.

www.coconutsresort.com/annamariaisland.html

Tampa
Destination Expert
for Anna Maria
Level Contributor
4,833 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Know of great cottage/house rental on beach?

Stacey, you will love Anna Maria Island. The good news is that in September, the rates are lower so there are a lot of options, but if you are not staying a whole week, that limits some properties.

We just satyed at wwww.thebluedolphininn.com and we loved it, very tropical and on the northend of the island. I thought the price was a really good bargin and the beach is just a short stroll.

Also, check out Tortuga Inn, Tradeswind and Queens Gate. Queens Gate has a lovely little house that they rent that is right across the street from the beach but you can still see the water.

Sycamore, Illinois
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Know of great cottage/house rental on beach?

We just had our first trip and thanks to this forumwe stayed at Tortuga Inn. Since we weren't staying a week, wanted to pass on a house rental this time. The Tortuga is right across the street from the beach, we rented a garden suite which was as nice as the website shows. It was a short (3min?) walk. Also had an outdoor pool and an unroofed pool in the middle of the garden suite complex. Very nice. We thougtht price was good too.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
16 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Know of great cottage/house rental on beach?

We are going to be staying 5 nights now instead of 4! I am narrowing down my list. So far the one's I'm most excited about are Alamanda Villas, Angelino's Sea Lodge, Blue Dolphin, and a handful of rental homes.

Alamanda Villas looks really nice. I wonder if there will be an annoying level of noise from the public beach/picnic area when we go toward end of September?

I worry about Angelino's lack of pool aspect for my 7 yr old. Not that he'd be bored, I just think its a nice extra for the kids on vacation.

Blue Dolphin looks nice too, but I wish it were closer to the beach & the unit that is available is higher than what I would like to spend for something that far from water.

We are looking forward to this trip sooo much!

Tampa
Destination Expert
for Anna Maria
Level Contributor
4,833 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Know of great cottage/house rental on beach?

stayce33 - How great, another day! I have stayed at all three so I will try and help you.

Alamanda Villas - It IS right beside the Manatee County Beach and the beach is usually a busy place but the end of September it will not be overcrowded. The property has recently been totally renovated, I have not stayed there since but I have watched the progess from the exterior and it really looks beautiful, has a real "villa" type feel to it.

Angelino's Sea Lodge is very cozy and you feel like you are in your own private space. Which unit are you looking at? We stayed in the Dominica and loved the view and it was large and spotless. I didnt miss having a pool because it is right on the beach, just steps to the water.

Blue Dolphin Inn, I am surprised that it is more expensive than the others, give Angie a call and tell her Natalie from Trip Advisor recommend her and see if she will give you a discount. I loved this place, it is so unique, like a tropical paradise. I was really concerned about the distance to the beach too but it really was no beg deal, down a small sandy path and there you were and it was Bean Point..just beautiful.

All three places are excellant choices.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
16 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Know of great cottage/house rental on beach?

Thanks RustyKat! I am glad to hear that. There are just SO many awesome looking places = it's really hard to narrow down. I found a great deal on one of the Alamanda VIlla's so we're leaning toward that right this second.

I think I better stop digging around & just choose- i think Anna Maria Island is going to be one of our funnest trips!

Thanks for everyone's help!

Tampa
Destination Expert
for Anna Maria
Level Contributor
4,833 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Know of great cottage/house rental on beach?

Stayce _ Your are welcome and if you are getting a really good deal on the Villas, I think you would be very happy there. Take a look at the recent review here, it was very positive.

Get answers to your questions about Anna Maria Island