We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideas for a fun family day

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
245 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Ideas for a fun family day

Hi,we are travelling from Scotland to Florida in July and would very much like to visit Anna Maria Island.I was wondering if someone could give us a few ideas on what to do and where to eat.We have visited Sanibel and Captiva-is it the same sort of 'feel'?.We will have our little boy with us who is 3.Thanks in advance,any ideas most welcome.

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ideas for a fun family day

Visit the public beach at the end of Manatee Ave. Ride the trolley to get an idea of the island. Fish at Rod and Reel Pier. Eat there, or at the beach House (very kids friendly either place). In July, the water is usually very calm and warm. Buy a cheap air mattress and float. Pick up some shells. Wander thru the shops all over the island.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
1,452 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ideas for a fun family day

IMO AMI has a unique feel and I wouldn't compare it to anywhere else I have been. Got to go there to understand what I mean but most people fall in love with the place.

Where to eat ?

loads of choice, mainly casual dining with seafood theme menus. Try:-

Rod and Reel or City Piers

Sandbar for the best location

BeachHouse

Sun House

Peaches for breakfast

Duffys or Skinnys for burgers

Star Fish Co on Cortez for really fresh fish in a unique setting

Sign of the Mermaid for more upscale dining or Beach Bistro for really pushing the boat out.

Things to do:-

Capt Kath or Capt Kims boat trips are great fun for kids

Mote marine and St Armands Circle at bottom end of longboat Key

Shelling on the beach

Fishing on Rod and Reel ( rent rods and buy bait there as well as have lunch and a beer while fishing)

Busch Gardens about 1.5 hrs away

Myaka state park

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
245 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ideas for a fun family day

Thank you both for your replies-Steve great detailed list,brilliant.Can't Wait-only 6 months to go!!

Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ideas for a fun family day

I agree with everything Kris and Steve said.

The only thing that I would add is to make time for playgrounds (Coquina and Manatee Beaches) and ice cream! Have fun! We fell in love with the island last year. (and so did our then-three-year-old...)

Merritt Island...
Level Contributor
422 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ideas for a fun family day

I agree with all of the suggestions. In addition there is a little playground in Bradenton Beach just off Gulf Drive. Also a small public library for some A/C and a little down time in the kids section.

One note on the piers. Both the City pier and Rod and Reel on the North end do not have any rails. Drove me crazy when my boys were young. You should definitely visit but keep a hand on your son. Bridge street has a nice pier with benches and high rails. The fishing isn't as good but it's a nice walk in the evening. One more thing just a short distance off the island. Sarasota Jungle Gardens.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
1,452 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ideas for a fun family day

tomn3

good point about the rails on the piers - need to be careful with young kids.

Forgot to mention there are two small playgrounds, one on Holmes Beach nr Gulf Drive Cafe and one bay side between the two piers, both with swings and slides.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
245 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ideas for a fun family day

Thanks again for all this input,most helpful.Feel I need to put more time aside for Anna Maria Island now before moving onto Naples!!

8. Re: Ideas for a fun family day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2009, 08:21