We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first time in ami ?

pennsy.
6 posts
Save Topic
first time in ami ?

hi everyone! we are planning our first trip to ami/ sarasota. Vacationed last july in sanibel. looking to spend 10 days in a condo? #1 how are the no-seeums, we got bit alive in sanibel and not willing to go thru this again. better to stay inland and drive to ami? planning on doing saltwater fishing with my daughter each AM. preferably a beachfront condo? thanks

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: first time in ami ?

I hear you on the no see ums..but with the weather cold they havent been out as much on Sanibel. Deet works great if you encounter any on AMI,but make sure it's like 98% Deet. Most only have 10 -30 % Deet.

Im curious also about the no see ums on AMI,we're going this weekend. I'll let you know.

essen, germany
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Anna Maria Island, Orlando
Level Contributor
3,955 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first time in ami ?

No see ums are not as bad as in sanibel.

Don´t know why but we never had a problem with them!

And we are there in June and July every year.

Our condo is right at the beach so it might be the reason that they like the bay water better!?

even mossis are not so bad!

What do the others say? were we just lucky??

Salem, Indiana
Level Contributor
153 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first time in ami ?

We have not had any "bug" problems. Not even a mosquito! Usually when you are laying on the beach all "gooped" up, bugs seem to always find you. Never seen any. Been 2 times in November and once in July.

Soon to be 2 times in July in 133 more days!!!

Guess we are some of the lucky ones also.

Hudson Valley,NY
Level Contributor
360 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: first time in ami ?

Have been to Sanibel & AMI. No-see-ums were terrible on Sanibel. No bugs at all on AMI (May & Oct.)

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: first time in ami ?

One the beach side there are almost no bugs. Bay side there are more. Have been attacked by mossies on the bay side nature walk across from Coquina Beach especially, so use deet if going there. I've been to the beach almost every month of the year, and during May and October you may find love bugs around the pool, but not the beach. They are a nuisance, but don't bite.

Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Longboat Key
Level Contributor
4,177 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: first time in ami ?

I was surprised, Kris, by your finding no-seeums on the Coquina nature walk, but I guess as you get off the beach and move through the dry area or in among the mangroves you lose some breeze and might find them. I've not experienced any on Longboat, but perhaps there could be some in the Durante Park nature walk.

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: first time in ami ?

Not so much the no see ums, but the mosquitoes. They can be really fierce on the nature walk!

8. Re: first time in ami ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2009, 05:27