We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Bridge (never ending story??)

essen, germany
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Anna Maria Island, Orlando
Level Contributor
3,983 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
New Bridge (never ending story??)

"Florida Department of Transportation project manager Chris Piazza said yesterday that the DOT will recommend that the Anna Maria Island Bridge be replaced by a 65-foot-high, fixed-span structure".

Let´s see what happens and how long it will take :-)

Tampa
Destination Expert
for Anna Maria
Level Contributor
4,810 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Bridge (never ending story??)

WHAT? This is the first I heard of this one. You think they would have figured that out before they spent all the time and money to fix the old one last year. Maybe it was just a fix and they really need a new bridge, I dont know.

Hey, if it provides jobs for people in the construction industry (like me), that would help!

essen, germany
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,983 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Bridge (never ending story??)

Yes, that´ll be great! :-)))

Don´t know if this is for real now but here´s the article in the Islander:

www.islander.org/4-15-09/ami_bridge_new.php

Merritt Island...
Level Contributor
431 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Bridge (never ending story??)

Looks like it'll be 10-15 years out, according to the article. Just in time for the next recession I guess.

I think I'm on the opposing side of this. Been coming to AMI for many years. This could dramatically change the look of the island and the mainland side. Imagine the approach to a fixed structure that high over a relatively short span. I know increased lanes for congestion and safety would be nice, and I don't have to deal with it everyday, but I think both draw bridges add to the laid back, old time, small town feel.

essen, germany
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,983 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Bridge (never ending story??)

Agree...

I´m with tom !

Wouldn´t like the look of a high bridge although I can see the reasons (more and more traffic on the waterway AND on the streets!

5. Re: New Bridge (never ending story??)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2009, 11:17
Get answers to your questions about Anna Maria Island