We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip report 05/18-05/25

Level Contributor
1,454 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
trip report 05/18-05/25

We left Pittsburgh Int'l early on 05/18 flying into Tampa, where the news later informed us,had the most rainfall in 1 day since 1911. Got our car rental and headed into the storm. One and a half our later we entered AMI and somehow found the Sandbar where we had a great lunch. We found our condo at Alamanda villas and were pleasantly surprised how clean and well laid out unit #8 was. The decor is tropical, yet, it had a comfortable, at home, feel about it. We liked it immediately. We went to the Publix for groceries and finally were able to kick back and let AMI's beauty and friendly people put us completely at ease. The rain subsided enough for us to take our 1st of many walks on the beach. Manatee Beach is public, but, people, due to the weather, were scarce. My wife kept track of all the places we ate, but, we enjoyed them all, to varying degrees. My favorites are Sign of the Mermaid and Jamrock. I thought Sharkey's was overpriced, yet tasty, as was DiGorgio's (sp?) We made a few stops at Ginny's IGA to clear up our e-mail accounts and enjoy the uniqueness of the store itself. Took a ride to St Armand Circle one day, but, didn't stay long as we felt everything was overpriced. The weather finally broke on Thursday of that week and. before long, it was quite warm. The pool at Alamanda Villas is small, but, until that weekend, we had it mostly to ourselves. There was plenty of shopping for souvenirs and, we found most prices reasonable. By Friday had a lot of people moving in and the beach was crowded. In conclusion, it was the 1st time on vacation my wife admitted she didn't want to leave, and when we return it will be for 10 days or maybe 2 weeks. We want to take some family next time if they can free up the time. I want to thank everyone on TA for all the advice they provided for our 1st trip, it came in handy. I plan to post some pics when I review Alamanda Villas, and, I'll let everyone know when I do..........dan

Mentioned in this post
Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
Tampa
Tampa
Florida
Sign of The Mermaid
Sign of The Mermaid
785 Reviews
Anna Maria Island, FL
Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
1,452 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trip report 05/18-05/25

Dan

You are clearly planning on returning so I guess you caught the bug too. Shame about the weather for the start of your trip but sounds like you enjoyed your time on AMI.

We will have to visit Jamrock when next there - it hadn't opened last time we were there in October but has had some good reviews already.

Tampa
Destination Expert
for Anna Maria
Level Contributor
4,842 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trip report 05/18-05/25

SuperDan......great trip report and glad you had a good time. I feel the same way your wife did, we can go anywhere else on vacation and I am always ready to get back home but not Anna Maria Island, I never want to leave the island!

I've had a few good meals at Sharkey's, we stayed at Sandy Toes on year right across the street from there and ate and drank there, they had karoke but I dont normally recommend it, it can be iffy.

Ginny's is great, can you imagine it being at real IGA Grocery Store? That's how I remember it!

St. Armands Circle has always been pricey but it is a nice trip and we love the Columbia Restaurant for Cuban Sandwiches and the white Sangria.

Did you make it to Bridgetender or Drift-In?

I cant wait to see your picture and I know we will hear from you soon.

Mentioned in this post
St. Armands Circle
St. Armands Circle
4,683 Reviews
Sarasota, FL
Columbia
Columbia
South Carolina
Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,390 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trip report 05/18-05/25

Dan-

Thanks for the great trip report.

I enjoyed reading it.

What type of food do they serve at the Jamrock?

Jkelly

Level Contributor
1,454 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: trip report 05/18-05/25

No, didn't make it to Bridgetender or Drift Inn; just not enough time, but, would have liked to. Jamrock serves Jamaican cuisine, one of my favorites. Hope to write a review and post pics tomorrow; as you know, it's difficult to catch up on things when you're still thinking of AMI.

Derby
Level Contributor
243 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: trip report 05/18-05/25

SuperDan,

Thanks for your trip report, glad you had a great time! We are coming to the island in November and our time share is fairly near Jamrock, so I am sure we will be going there for a meal to try it out!

You must already love to the island to be planning a return visit, I don't know of anyone who has been to the island who doesn't want to return!!

Sally

Level Contributor
1,454 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: trip report 05/18-05/25

My trip report, quite similar to the one above, can be found at tripadvisor.com/VacationRentalReview-g34097-… I also posted 3 pics that, unfortunately are not able to be viewed due to an internak error.........

7. Re: trip report 05/18-05/25

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 November 2009, 05:30
Get answers to your questions about Anna Maria Island