We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rod & Reel or Anna Maria Island Pier Restaurant

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
855 posts
226 reviews
Save Topic
Rod & Reel or Anna Maria Island Pier Restaurant

Which one of these is frequently raved about on this forum? The Rod & Reel Pier or Anna Maria Island Pier restaurant. I don't recall and am trying to sort out details for our trip in July.

Thanks,

Kris

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
48,223 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rod & Reel or Anna Maria Island Pier Restaurant

Rod and Reel Cafe is one I mention, it is a cozy little place on top at the end of the Rod and Reel Pier with it's bait shop below. It is on the Bay with a view of the Sunshine Skyway, not on the ocean if that helps.

i don't know the other one.

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rod & Reel or Anna Maria Island Pier Restaurant

If I remember correctly, the Anna Maria Island Pier was the original Anna maria Oyster Bar. Once they got busy, the rent was raised, so they ended up off island. I had heard that it was bought by the owners of Rod n Reel. It is just south of Rod n Reel, on the bay, on the pier where the main east/west street runs into the water. (Okay, I live here. Can never remember the names of the streets, just where they go.) Rod n Reel has always been good food, great view, and friendly folks.

Indy
Level Contributor
1,381 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rod & Reel or Anna Maria Island Pier Restaurant

Both are popular but R&R is more popular. It's bigger and better laid out for dining.

Have a great time!

Trish

Indy
Level Contributor
1,381 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rod & Reel or Anna Maria Island Pier Restaurant

I was thinking City Pier vs. R&R pier.

Trish

Tampa
Destination Expert
for Anna Maria
Level Contributor
4,820 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rod & Reel or Anna Maria Island Pier Restaurant

I would go for Rod & Reel Pier, they always have a fresh catch of the day and it IS just out of the water,,,,wonderful

Indy
Level Contributor
1,381 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rod & Reel or Anna Maria Island Pier Restaurant

I had the GROUPER RUEBEN. Yes you heard that right. I know sounds so gross. But, I LOVE turkey ruebens. And not the 'fake' turkey ruebens where they substitute cole slaw for the saurkraut, no bring on the saurkraut and thousand island like a real rueben thank you.

When I saw 'grouper rueben' on the menu, I thought 'This is my kind of place!' And it was FABULOUS.

Trish

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
200 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rod & Reel or Anna Maria Island Pier Restaurant

I'd got for City Pier - don't know what it is about the place, but when I dream of AMI thats my favourite place :-)

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
855 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rod & Reel or Anna Maria Island Pier Restaurant

Thanks TnTWalter. Did you get the Grouper Reuben at Rod and Reel or City Pier? I am a huge fish lover and would never order a greasy, regular reuben sand-this sounds different and worth a try.

Thanks,

Kris

Indy
Level Contributor
1,381 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rod & Reel or Anna Maria Island Pier Restaurant

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner...grouper reuben @ Rod n Reel...

Oh yes....it was de-LICIOUS.

Merritt Island...
Level Contributor
431 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rod & Reel or Anna Maria Island Pier Restaurant

I think you'll do well at either. We were at the city pier last week. The place seemed improved over last year. Lots of room to move around, good food(I had the fried fish sandwich, son #1 had fish and chips, son #2 and wife had grilled fish sandwich) All good.

I still haven't made it to R&R.