We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

So Confused!

chesterfield, va
Level Contributor
38 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
So Confused!

Have been looking around for over a month now and STILL can't decide on Captiva, Sanibel or Anna Maria Island. I am probably not going to consider Sanibel since they only rent homes monthly and I only plan on taking a week vacation.

Any suggestions? One vs the other? Have been to Captiva and Sanibel before but want my daughter (4 yr) to enjoy her trip. I know the shelling will be less than Sanibel but can she still enjoy finding good shells?

HELP!

Milwaukee
Level Contributor
8 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: So Confused!

We are currently on Anna Maria Island. While the shelling may not be like Sanibel, Anna Maria is a great place to take kids. It's quiet, friendly, has great beaches and yes you can still find shells.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: So Confused!

we did find some great shells!

it is truly family friendly and a great place to relax!

NC
Level Contributor
50 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: So Confused!

If you are wanting a house rental, Sanibel does only rent homes by the month, but they have tons of weekly (some will rent less than a week) condo rentals, including some really nice quiet complexes & also cottages & inns. We love Sanibel/Captiva so very much, but we are looking forward to visiting Anna Maria late this summer for the first time.

chesterfield, va
Level Contributor
38 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: So Confused!

Yes but they don't have too many pet friendly places. We have to travel with our 11 yr old lab. He's well traveled and well behaved but I didn't see too many places that would accept pets.

Ohio
Level Contributor
729 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: So Confused!

I've been to Captiva, Sanibel and, last summer, to AMI. The shelling is nothing like Sanibel however, I found many, many good shells to be in abundance on AMI and more whole sand dollars washed on shore than I've found anywhere else in Florida.

Some of the things I really liked about AMI include the laid-back attitude which I found refeshing after a few years at Hilton Head. AMI is unpretentious and more casual than Captiva and Sanibel. Additionally, I love the "Old Florida" beachhouses. At dinner time we never, ever had to wait for a restaurant table for dinner which was nice! Shopping at St Armand's Circle in Sarasota was great, too.

I'm a cyclist and appreciate good bike trails when on vacation so Sanibel beats AMI on that point but I think AMI is one-of-a-kind and is special in it's own right.

6. Re: So Confused!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2010, 07:23