We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaches and things

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Beaches and things

Was at the beach this morning. Absolutely beautiful! A few gentle waves, clear skies, beautiful water, a lot of little fishies swimming around. No oil, or oil smell. No problem. Water is almost warm enough, but I like it really warm. DH had no trouble walking right in.

We just returned from the new Jamrocks location. It's about a mile from us, and will become our restaurant of choice when we don't go to the island. Great food, good vibe, friendly folks--what more could you ask for. Not terribly convenient for folks on the island, but just a short (7-10 minutes) drive if you have a car, and lots of free parking. Now located just west of 59th St West, on Manatee Ave.

florida
Level Contributor
296 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beaches and things

AMI sounds wonderful. It is one of my favorite beaches...have a great vacation....

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
167 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beaches and things

kris48......can you tell me more about Jamrocks please? .....only 35 days to go and we are headed for AMI....cant wait !!

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beaches and things

Jamrocks is a Jamaican restaurant that was originally on the island in a very small location, with about 3 parking slots. I think they will do a lot better in their new location, as they have room to spread out and plenty of parking. The food is very good--we both had jerk chicken, with rice and beans and slaw. The jerk seasoning is spicy, but not extremely so. They have a lot of other things on the menu as well if you do not like spice. Prices are very reasonable--we spent $40 for two meals, two beers each, and tax and tip. Service was very fast and friendly, and the food good,

To get there from the island, exit the island at the Manatee Ave./Rt. 64 bridge. Head east on Manatee. Jamrocks is in a small plaza just past the Beall's department store, on the right side of the road. It is before 59th st. and the Burger King. Across the street from the Chop Shop.

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Beaches and things

And in case you're wondering it is a little over 5 miles along Manatee Ave.

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beaches and things

Yeah, I'm sorry if I suggested it was on island or nearby. Five miles is about right. It could be reached by public transport, during the day, if you ride the bus from the Manatee Beach. Not sure when the buses stop running, but earlier than the trolleys on the island.

We were at the beach again today, and again it was absolutely beautiful. Bright turqouise water, going to deep blue as it went out. Very calm, and again no touch of any kind of oil, or odor. Smelled of sun, sean, salt, and suntan lotion! I will be able to get fully into the water soon, I swear. For me, it must be bath temp, but DH has been having fun swimming.

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Beaches and things

Kris, your description of the new Jamrocks location was spot on. I just thought I would give our readers an idea of the distance.

I think we will make a trip to the public beach this week - the water sounds good enough for me. I am also thinking of the latest oil spill news in the news this evening - not good at all. And it will take only one thunderstorm in the Gulf to really churn up the water and spread the oil far and wide. I hope the weather disturbance East of the Bahamas doesn't move into the Gulf.

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beaches and things

I am also worried aobut all the animals, birds, sea life out there that will be impacted by this catastrophe. I only hope it is not too bad in this area. The impact so far is none, but that could change easily. In the meantime, the Gulf is beautiful, so you will really enjoy. A hint, if you do not know, there are a lot of very small parking areas just south of the beach at 64. the beaches there are very nice, and not a lot of folks. We are now frequenting the small lot just south of Sailfish Inn. Enjoy. Hopefully it will last.

Tampa
Destination Expert
for Anna Maria
Level Contributor
4,810 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beaches and things

Kris - Glad to know about Jamrocks, we had one great visit and one not so great visit but I think they try hard and I wish them lots of luck in their new location.

Thanks for letting everyone know that the island is good and there are no problems. I would hate to have people cancell their vacations and miss out on such a beautiful place.

Merritt Island...
Level Contributor
431 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beaches and things

I guess if I was flying a long distance I would be concerned. Funny, over here on the East coast I've heard of people cancelling trips to Sanibel because of this. It's not even close and no one(unfortunately!) has any idea which way it's heading. But the reality is the beaches are perfect. My sister in law was on Long Boat Key last week. Drove up through AMI and she said the water was the clearest she had seen in years. Looking forward to late June for a quick trip over.

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
20 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beaches and things

Glad to know that the island is good and no oil has been spotted!! We have been looking forward to our annual vacation and I just couldn't imagine not being down there. Please continue to keep us updated. I would much rather get updates from people that are there and can tell me first hand, than the news that just does nothing but continue to confuse us more.

Get answers to your questions about Anna Maria Island