We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Running with Jogging Stroller

Burlington, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Burlington
Level Contributor
2,764 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Running with Jogging Stroller

Are there places to run (3-4 mile range) on the Island, keeping in mind that we'd be pushing a jogging stroller? Narrow sidewalks and rough surfaces are probably out, and it would be nice if we didn't have to continually stop at road intersections--i.e., long uninterrupted stretches of sidewalk or paths are best.

What about the trails at Leffis Key? The jogging stroller can do unpaved surfaces, just need to be fairly smooth.

Sarasota, FL
Level Contributor
127 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Running with Jogging Stroller

No where comes to mind on Anna Maria Island. The best thing to do is to run along the beach but the stroller is going to get bumped around. There are a few spots with about 1/2 mile sidewalks but you would have to watch for cars pulling in and out of side streets. No question the best closest spot would be Robinson Preserve. Trails are smooth, roller bladers use the preserve. Just Google Robinson Preserve Bradenton Fl and you will find out some more information. Only 5 minutes off the island on Manatee Avenue. Hope that helps

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Running with Jogging Stroller

You could also run along the sidewalk that heads along Manatee Ave. from the island. It crosses on a bridge that is fairly narrow, but picks up soon after that.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
48,736 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Running with Jogging Stroller

I agree with Kris, this is an off island excursion if AMI is your base. One of the best things about AMI is the small town feel and the lanes and the lack of wide thoroughfares with cycling and jogging lanes- no room for it. The sidewalks will vary and dip with each crossroad and there is a free trolley to get around but no space for a seperate cycle lane.

Siesta key and other islands might be better for this one small thing. You have to ask yourself will you be able to give up all AMI has to offer for this one small thing. You can always jog and leave baby behind with your other half or go across the bridge should you need to jog together.

I remember shopping for strollers when my twins were babies and they didn't have ones like now so only jogging solo was on the menu ;-)

Edited: 11 February 2011, 21:32
Newport, Rhode...
Level Contributor
698 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Running with Jogging Stroller

I would recommend the bike/jog/walk

path on Long Boat Key. Park at Coquina

Beach, walk across the Long Boat Pass

Bridge and you can start running. If it is

easier, you call also park at any one of

the beach access lots on LBK, the best

one is directly across from the 7 Eleven.

Burlington, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Burlington
Level Contributor
2,764 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Running with Jogging Stroller

OK, thanks folks. I'll write down these options and then we'll just see what happens. We're definitely doing AMI--already booked. And running is not essential, or we could always take turns going solo. But here at home (in the warmer months) we enjoy jogging together with the jogging stroller.

I think we'll leave the jogging stroller at home and if we find a good area then we'll rent one for a couple of days.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
48,736 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Running with Jogging Stroller

you will probably need a stroller at some point. If your airline will take it, bring it. you may find a route you like. Don't waste money on a rental.

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
568 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Running with Jogging Stroller

Run on the beach, during a lower tide the ground is hard and smooth and you have 6 mile stretch with no traffic lights ;) however, some jumping dolphins in the gulf may distract you though.

See you soon, have fun

Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Longboat Key
Level Contributor
4,186 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Running with Jogging Stroller

The Longboat option is a good one for running. There's a wide sidewalk that goes for 10+ miles. I'd start by driving across the bridge and then parking in the Whitney Beach plaza parking lot. If you want, you could use the streets in nearby Longbeach Village; otherwise get on the sidewalk that runs the length of Longboat along Gulf of Mexico Drive.

9. Re: Running with Jogging Stroller

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2012, 06:18