We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Miami

South West
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Miami

Hi All. My wife an I are coming to AMI for the first time in August, and were just wondering if a day trip to Miami was possible?

We will have a hire car, but were wondering if you could do a coach trip down there to take the hassle out of it?

Any suggestions gratefully accepted!

Mentioned in this post
Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Longboat Key
Level Contributor
4,186 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Miami

It's a long drive -- about 4+ hours each way -- so that wouldn't leave you much time to enjoy Miami. If it's important to you to visit there then I'd suggest you plan on spending a night in Miami so you could see more.

There's no railroad transportation from this area and no good, direct bus transportation that would make things simple or easy. You could drive up to Tampa and take a flight to Miami, but again you'd be spending all of your time travelling.

Mentioned in this post
Tampa
Tampa
Florida
New Forest, United...
Level Contributor
270 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Miami

The last time we went to Anna Maria for a holiday we flew into Miami, stopped for two nights and took in a tour or two. I have no desire to do it again but definitely worth doing once. On the third day we picked up a car, drove to Fort Myers Beach for two nights and did an all day Everglades tour. This we would do again. From there we drove to Anna Maria for ten nights of wonderful relaxation and at the end of the holiday drove up to Tampa, dropped off the hire car and flew home.

This year we start our holiday in New York for a few nights stay and after a couple of stops en route will end up in Anna Maria for a week or two.

If your flights are not yet booked this might be worth considering. One of the hi lights of South Beach has got to be the Art Deco buildings which you have to see at night so you really do need to stay overnight if you can. The additional cost of flights from London and car hire with different pick up and drop off airports was minimal.

Mentioned in this post
Anna Maria
Anna Maria
Anna Maria Island, FL
Fort Myers Beach
Fort Myers Beach
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Tampa
Tampa
Florida
London
London
Ontario, Canada
South West
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Miami

Thanks for the replies everyone. I guess we'll have to come again and fly into Miami next time!

Mentioned in this post
essen, germany
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Anna Maria Island, Orlando
Level Contributor
4,011 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Miami

Hey, it IS doable...

A looooong day, but doable!

3,5 hours each way and only 2 to 3 hours to enjoy Miami then... :-)

I would say, take US 41 south for your way to Miami to enjoy the Everglades. On the way back take I75 (Alligator Alley) for the faster way.

We did this 3 times now (because friends really wanted to SEE MIAMI)! I guess this is a tourist thing... If tourist think of Florida, Miami comes to mind and they really want to go :-))))

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
South West
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Miami

Thanks for that...perhaps we might do it after all! Do you think it's worth it? I guess we only really want to go to see the art deco buildings... Is that worth the long day? Tough choice...

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
49,217 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to Miami

Persoanlly, I think it will take you over 4 hours each way, and leave you little time in Miami. and the best thing about Miami is the nightlife ie dining, people watching, the decon district in lights etc. All things you won't see on a 3-4 hour day trip.

Do yourself a favor and forget this one, or go overnight. You could always visit DT Tampa, or Sarasota instead.

Mentioned in this post
Tampa
Tampa
Florida
Sarasota
Sarasota
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
essen, germany
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Anna Maria Island, Orlando
Level Contributor
4,011 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip to Miami

Well, in that point I have to agree with Amanx...

Miami (and this is ONLY my personal opinion) is not worse a drive through the whole state...

It is mostly Art Deco and Ocean Drive.

BUT still doable...

If you ask me if you should GO for it... NO!

You´re in the most beautiful area of Florida. Lot´s to see and to do. Sarasota has brilliant night life at Main Street or on Lido Key (St. Armands Circle)

Different story if you´re on a round trip though!

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Sarasota
Sarasota
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Lido Key
Lido Key
Sarasota, FL
St. Armands Circle
St. Armands Circle
4,682 Reviews
Sarasota, FL
Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip to Miami

It will be more than a 4 hour drive. It will take you 30 min alone to get off AMI and on to I-75. Of course you can leave really early, like 5 am and make a long day of it.

9. Re: Day trip to Miami

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 03:19
Get answers to your questions about Anna Maria Island