We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report: March 15-24

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,254 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report: March 15-24

Just got back from our yearly visit to AMI. Had a great time as usual.

Day 1: Fly from Burlington VT to Orlando. Since we couldn't check into our condo on AMI until Saturday, we decided to spend 2 nights in Orlando. Don't really like it there...way too crowded and too many people!!

Saturday the 17th. Drove the 2ish hours to AMI. Not much traffic getting onto the island at all (around noon). Was surprised. Hung out at my inlaw's place until we could get into our condo.

We stayed in The Villas on Highland Ave in Bradenton Beach. AWESOME location. a block from the beach and couple blocks to Bridge Street. Condo is really nice but small. We didn't care though 'cause we weren't in it much! WE rented through Gulf Bay Realty and they are great.

What we did: Went to Joan Durante Park in Longboat Key and walked the paths. Gorgeous and a must do IMO. Walked on Leffis Key/Coquina Bay Walk. Another must. Went to the beach of course. Spent an afternoon in Ellenton at the outlet mall. Went to the Mote Aquarium and Save our Seabirds.

Where we ate:

Jose's Real Cuban Food: on Cortez off island. EXCELLENT. Looks like a hole in the wall place but the food is great.

Rotten Ralphs: We always go there. Not really for the food but for tradition I guess.

Bridge Tender: Same as above.

Eat Here: LOVED this place. Excellent meal. Not really kid friendly though there were some kids there. The lobster tacos were great.

Sharky's: I don't see this place get mentioned a lot on this board. We go every year and I've always had a great meal. It's a little pricy but worth it IMO.

Bonefish Grill: Off island, corner of Cortez and 75th. For a chain restaurant its decent. My husband really liked his roughy fish (sp?). My scallops and shrimp were overdone but still flavorful.

Star Fish Co: off island in Cortez. GET THERE EARLY. We arrived around 11:15 for an 11:30 arrival and there was already a line! My inlaws and husband really liked their oyster po-boys. I had grilled shrimp which was great.

Other: We walked a lot. Great island for walking.

We rented an air mattress from ABC rentals in Holmes Beach. We use them every year.

Hmmm...what else? I'm sure there is more!

Had a great time as usual and are looking forward to our 5th visit next year!

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,254 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report: March 15-24

OH-How could I forget?

We LOVE the Ted Stevens Band and they played a couple nights at Island Time Bar and Grill on the corner of Gulf and Bridge in Bradenton Beach. The band is GREAT. Rockabilly style. Island Time is a fun place to grab a drink and a bite to eat. Music every night.

Tampa
Destination Expert
for Anna Maria
Level Contributor
4,805 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report: March 15-24

Thanks for the report, sounds like you had a great vacation. Glad you mentioned the Island Time Bar, we have not been there yet and will try it out on our next visit. We love Rockabilly.

Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report: March 15-24

Thank you for your detailed trip report. I enjoyed reading it! We will check out Joan Durante park and Jose's on our next trip. Thanks!

essen, germany
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Anna Maria Island, Orlando
Level Contributor
3,982 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report: March 15-24

Rusty, which one is the Island Time Bar, where we are going to raise a roof then?? :-)))

Great report... I guess I will have to check out the Eat Here too!

Thanks!

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report: March 15-24

It's the new place under the Bridge street Bistro.

Succasunna, NJ
Level Contributor
344 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report: March 15-24

Great report.....two weeks away and I can't wait to get there. Wasn't Jose's Cuban Food on a recent episode of Diners Drive-ins and Dives? Need to check that out as well.

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report: March 15-24

Jose's was on that show. If you tell him it is your first time he will give you a sample of his mojo pork. So good!

Succasunna, NJ
Level Contributor
344 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report: March 15-24

Thanks for the tip Chris...........I'll be sure to mention it.

9. Re: Trip Report: March 15-24

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 11:16
Get answers to your questions about Anna Maria Island