We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report: May 13-19. Our 1st visit here!

PA
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
141 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report: May 13-19. Our 1st visit here!

WOW! I've found a new favorite beach destination & look forward to returning some day. May seems to be a great time to visit: no crowds anywhere, no bugs, weather pleasant & ocean warm (of course, I'm used to beaches north of Florida!)

We stayed in a rental by owner: 103 Gulf Sands - 2 BR condo in Holmes Beach (condo complex was ocean front) balcony ocean views. It was an excellent place: pool, clean, beach supplies provided, nice decor, comfortable. Highly reccommend this place.

Enjoyed the beach every day from morning walks to evening sunsets. Went out on 2 hour boat ride on bay (left from Star Fish Co.), visited DeSoto National Monuement (1/2 hour drive from AMI). It was quite interesting & we enjoyed the history/nature trail along the bay.

Enjoyed several AMI restaurants: Rod & Reel Pier, Waterfront Restaurant, Mr. Bones BBQ. Also, Seafood Shack & Star Fish Co., both in Cortez. Liked them all. Shopped a bit - Pine St. & Bridge St. - not a lot of shopping here but we were all about the water & the beach. Loved the many sea birds all over the island.

So... when can we return to Anna Maria Island?!? :)

Tampa
Destination Expert
for Anna Maria
Level Contributor
4,814 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report: May 13-19. Our 1st visit here!

Thanks for the report and I am happy that you feel in love with the island, she has a lot to offer and we believe it is paradise. Sounds like you visited my favorite places, love Rod & Reel. I agree May is a great month, crowds are gone and the heat has not settled in yet so you get the warm days and cool nights, perfect!

I am sure you are already planning your next trip!

Arlington, TX
Destination Expert
for Fort Worth
Level Contributor
2,488 posts
566 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report: May 13-19. Our 1st visit here!

We probably crossed paths a few times!!

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,443 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report: May 13-19. Our 1st visit here!

ami is a true gem!!! sounds like you found that out....

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
568 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report: May 13-19. Our 1st visit here!

Glad you enjoyed your visit. What did you think of the beach cafe right next to Gulf Sands?

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
219 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report: May 13-19. Our 1st visit here!

We are coming in July for a week and staying at Gulf Sands! Great to know you enjoyed the place. We cannot wait to see what all this island gem has to offer! We are actually looking to go back and possibly marry in February.

PA
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report: May 13-19. Our 1st visit here!

We just had a drink there one night. They had a guy singing & playing a keyboard. Nice view of beach. Looked lke large portions for meals...

PA
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report: May 13-19. Our 1st visit here!

Are you staying on unit 103? The whole place is nice & right on the beach - you'll love it.

Best wishes with your wedding plans!

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
219 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report: May 13-19. Our 1st visit here!

We are staying in unit 102. I've been looking at the forums and love all of the suggestions!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
141 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report: May 13-19. Our 1st visit here!

Have just returned from our annual trip to Florida Gulf Coast, visit ffrom uk, twice a year, for the past 20 , but first time to Anna Maria, loved it! stayed at the North end, bean point area before going down to Sanibel Area, which we found this area so similar to, laid back, beautiful beach and lovely restaurants, we are now in process of booking next years visit, so....if anybody can help, we would like a house, definitely north end, beach access, t, minimum 2 beds, quiet location, but only for 3/4nights first week in May, have detailed map so nowknow locations well, restaurants review.....were very near to sandbr but on the night we visited there was a very long wait so didnt do, but the cocktails were excellent, city pier, very informal but relaxed and good seafood and nice watching people fishing, waterfront rest, very food and atmosphere, gulf city rest at Brandenton Beach for breakfast, food good but quiet a long wait. would love a house, quiet location but with beach access, any replies would be very much appreciated, thank you

lexington, ky
Level Contributor
744 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report: May 13-19. Our 1st visit here!

Meram:

Check this one out. I passed it everyday on my way to the beach. Cute little cottage on Spruce st. bear Tuna, just a few house from beach access. I thought it looked pretty neat, and it offers a 3 night minimum. It is just a short walk from Pine on North Shore. Very quiet there. One of the prettiest sections of beach on AMI.

…coastalcottagesami.com/rns/…213Spruce.aspx

Its called whispering pines. Very retro beachy with updated accents.

Get answers to your questions about Anna Maria Island