We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaches on the north end of AMI?

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
47 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Beaches on the north end of AMI?

We're going to be staying just north of Bimini Bay fairly close to the Intercoastal side of the island. Are there some publicly accessible beaches on the Gulf side not too far from where we're staying? We're looking for places where the 9 and 10-year old girls we have will feel safe playing in the water (in terms of waves and current). Are there really beaches on the ICW side of the island in that area?

Thanks in advance for your help. We've been to AMI several times before, but we've never stayed on this part of the Island before.

Central Illinois
Level Contributor
353 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beaches on the north end of AMI?

There is beach area at the north end of AMI. it starts around Rod & Reel Pier and wraps west towards the Gulf. I've seen a lot of kids swimming there. I've only ever been there to eat and walk the shoreline or to fish.

lexington, ky
Level Contributor
742 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beaches on the north end of AMI?

Sorry Reagansmom13, but the beach that wraps around the north tip of the island has very strong undercurrents when the tide is moving in and out. Really not safe for children, or adults either really when the tide is moving. A number of people have drowned in those currents. When my husband and I were there week before last, we would take our inflatable boat that has a motor on it over just north of Rod and Reel, only about 30 ft from shore. About 11:30 am when that tide started moving, the pull on our boat and our fishing lines was so strong, we had to go back towards city pier. It looked very deceiving as the water looked pretty calm. We were talking while out there about how I had read about how strong the currents are theregoing around the point on this forum,and we sure believed it.

On that same note, there is a small beach at City Pier, and another just slightly north of that, maybe a block. Very safe there. And a good amount of sand to hang out. The gulf side would be fine too. There is parking around Pine Ave to access the beach there. If you have a car. Hard to know exactly where you are without an address, but you might be able to walk to gulf side too. The island isn't that wide. If we have an address or street, someone could tell you the closest public access from where you are.

Central Illinois
Level Contributor
353 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beaches on the north end of AMI?

Oh my. I suppose since that area is a convergence of water there would be strong tides. Tthe area between the City Pier and R&R has a public access beach and though the piers are less than 1/2 mile apart swimming would be safer further from northeastern tip of the island.

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beaches on the north end of AMI?

If you can walk to the Sandbar restaurant, there is a beautiful beach there, and north of there. The walk down Pine Ave. is really not that far, probably half a mile or less. Please do not be tempted to swim at Bean Point. The currents there are really strong.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
47 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beaches on the north end of AMI?

Thanks all. We're staying on Kumquat near S. Bay. We can definitely walk to the beach on the bay side, i just don't know if you can get to the beach between the houses. We'll have a car, so it'll be no problem to drive.

Leeds
Level Contributor
63 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beaches on the north end of AMI?

Hi,

We have recently stayed for two weeks at a property 1 block south of kumquat and the swimming is fine off the beach there, my wife and I would walk upto 50 yards off shore looking for starfish. . There is beach access between the house if you are willing to walk.

Tampa
Destination Expert
for Anna Maria
Level Contributor
4,758 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beaches on the north end of AMI?

Welcome back Archie, we havent heard from you in a while, glad to know you are still coming back to the island. I remember the last time you were not real excited about your accomodations, hopefull this time it will be better for you.

I guess your daughter is much bigger too, does she still love Crabs?

Well I hope you have a great vacation, there are some new places to try especially on PIne Street.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
47 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beaches on the north end of AMI?

Thanks for the good wishes. We actually came last year too and had much better accommodations. Renting a house works better for us than renting a condo. We stayed on the north end last year, too, and liked it a lot. We're really excited to be close to the beach and the waterways this year.

I've been trying to comb recent forum posts for new places to eat. Any particular suggestions among the newcomers?

Tampa
Destination Expert
for Anna Maria
Level Contributor
4,758 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beaches on the north end of AMI?

Archie, The Blue Marlin on Dock Street is getting very good reviews, it is busy though, we tried to get in last weekend but wasnt able to. Also, the Old Sun House is now the Beach Street Bistro and has very good food and drinks. If you go over to Cortez Fishing VIllage there is a new place called Swordfish and that is suppose to be very good too. If you are staying on the north end, I think there are several new places on PIne Street. We just ate at Rod & Reel Pier and Duffy's this weekend and it did not disappoint. We also had a burger and fish & chips at the Feeling Swell on the north end, just OK, nothing special.

10. Re: Beaches on the north end of AMI?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 13:15