We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fishing on AMI

England
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
128 reviews
Save Topic
Fishing on AMI

We will be staying at Tradewinds in Oct and DS and DH would love to do some fishing. Do you have to buy a permit or can you just fish of their pier or anywhere else? Where can you buy a basic rod or should we bring our own?

Also can you book a fishing trip on a boat and how much does it cost? :)

Thanks

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fishing on AMI

Anyone over 15 needs a fishing license, but there are three piers where you can fish without one: Rod and Reel, City of Anna Maria pier, and Bridge Street pier. Basic rods available almost anywhere, Wal-Mart, Publix, Walgreens, Beach shops everywhere on island. The three piers above also sell bait.

England
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fishing on AMI

Thanks kris48, where can you buy the license and how much does it cost?

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fishing on AMI

If you google state of florida fishing license there is a lot of information. Looks like it is $30/week for visitors. You can buy from the website, or from any sporting goods store (including Wal-Mart).

Toronto, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fishing on AMI

What kind of fish is usually caught off the piers?

Central Illinois
Level Contributor
353 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fishing on AMI

I went pier fishing a couple years and I rented tackle either at R&R or a bait shop on AMI.

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fishing on AMI

I have seen a variety, but most that are keepers are some type of striped bass. Probably snapper as well.

Newport, Rhode...
Level Contributor
681 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Fishing on AMI

My friends from Michigan, who winter in Bradenton, do their charter fishing with Capt. Greg Darcie, his boat, "THE DOG HOUSE", is located at the Holmes Beach Boat Basin just before the HB Library. My friend caught a 5.5 foot silver king mackarel on a May 2012 charter with Darcie, before heading home to MI for the summer. Darcie's number is 407-467-5788.

Hudson Valley,NY
Level Contributor
363 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fishing on AMI

You can get a license at Island Discount Tackle on Marina Dr. in Holmes Beach. They also sell rods & can set you up with a charter boat.

Conshohocken...
Level Contributor
66 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fishing on AMI

What does DS & DH mean?

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply