We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant with local Seafood or fish

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
28 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant with local Seafood or fish

Is there a restaurant that serves local Seafood or fish on Anna maria island (not fancy please)? What is local here in Nov. Or December? Is there British style fish and chips? If not, where can I buy local Seafood or fish to cook in my apartment?

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
189 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant with local Seafood or fish

Starfish in Cortez is the best! Nothing fancy, outdoor eating out of a paper box. It is all local and fresh! They also have a fish market. It is truly the best seafood I've ever had. When we arrive at Anna Maria it's the first place we go, even before we check in to or house. One warning go early because it sometimes gets very crowded, and it is NOT fancy, very rustic, it is a fishing dock! There will be flies, mosquitoes and possibly a stray cat walking around! But the food is amazing!

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant with local Seafood or fish

Most of the restaurants have fresh local fish, just ask. Rod and Reel, Beach House, Sandbar for starters. Beach House and Rotten Ralph's have good fish and chips.

lexington, ky
Level Contributor
744 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant with local Seafood or fish

I vote rod n reel and starfish. I think rod n reel's chips (fries) are some of the best ever. Beachouse fish and chips are pretty good too.

lexington, ky
Level Contributor
744 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant with local Seafood or fish

Oh and you can buy fresh fish just off the boat in Cortez just over the bridge. Starfish has a seafood market. BTW, Starfish was rated one of the top 50 best seafood dives in the U.S. by coastal living magazine this past spring/summer.

Tampa
Destination Expert
for Anna Maria
Level Contributor
4,800 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant with local Seafood or fish

We love the Rod & Reel Pier on the north end. They have a daily fish sandwich that is very good and a lot of it. We also enjoy the fish & chips at Rotten Ralph's on Bridgestreet. I think it is one of the best deals on the island, $10.00 for "all you can eat" and the fish is always freash and tasty!

I agree with the Star Fish which is just across the Cortez Bridge for fresh fish to cook at home. I would also recommend Publix Grocery Store on the island for steamed shrimp, they will steam it in garlic or OBay for free and it is soooo good.

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
28 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant with local Seafood or fish

Wow thank you....we will try them all! I love this forum! Everyone is so helpful.

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
28 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant with local Seafood or fish

in case someone else is in my situation, here is an update.

We went to starfish and enjoyed it.....although I was surprised(later) to hear that scallops are not local (but yet they are served and sold their in the market). I think my husband got the platter with oysters and class and myself crab cake and scallops. I believe it was approx. $16.95 and called the Cortez special. Also took home the precooked stone crab which was about $22 a pound. We liked the atmosphere. Since it is in Cortez, it did not appear when we searched for seafood on tripadvisor or urbanspoon.

Also went to the Cortez kitchen in Cortez. Had some steamed seafood at the Cortez kitchen but some of that seafood (mussels and scallops) I guess was not local. We also had raw oysters but we're told they were from Texas. ($12 dozen). The grouper in the steamed platter was local though. We also liked the atmosphere there but the noseeums were biting our legs like crazy. The beer was super cheap ($1 draft, $2 corona).

Also had fish and chips on a Friday all you can eat at beach cafe but realized it was pollock (not local) in anna maria. I think the rod and reel also has pollock on its allucaneat fish. We should have gone their for their grouper but did not.

Also went for 50cent oysters at the Anna maria oyster bar and local steamed clams in shells(dozen for 5.95). Very good prices.

The shell on shrimp that they steam do not have their poo-lines removed so I didn't get them. They suggested I get some that are cleaned already but they were from Thailand so didn't bother.....but I loved their fried chicken and key lime pie. People were also so nice at anna maria. We loved it there.

8. Re: Restaurant with local Seafood or fish

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 06:15
Get answers to your questions about Anna Maria Island