We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Orlando and Anna Maria

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Trip to Orlando and Anna Maria

From Houston, Texas, we are planing a trip to Orlando and Anna Maria this July, 2 adults with 3 kids. Since the plane tickets to Orlando is much cheaper, we planned to fly to Orlando first, then drive to Anna Maria island. I think the drive is about 2 hours +. We have 8 days, so we plan to spend 4 or 5 days in Anna Maria, then 4 or 3 days in ORlando.

1. In Anna Maria Island, What would be your recommendation on condo/resort on the beach? I am thinking about the Queen's Gate resort since I heard many nice things about the place, but would like to explore option of resort right on the beach.

2. I wonder if spending the whole week on Anna Maria island is too long. Is there a lot of things to do in Anna Maria with the kids besides the pools and the beach?

3. We do not plan to go to Disney in this trip. IF we do spend about a few days in Orlando, we may go to Epcot or Universal studio or the water park. I'm thinking of staying at Holiday Inn on Orange Lake for the rest of the stay in Orlando. The place seems to be nice and have enough activity for the kids to be occupied for the rest of our vacation. Anyone have other recommendations about things to do in Orlando besides Disney?

Thank you

Ann

Tampa
Destination Expert
for Anna Maria
Level Contributor
4,805 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Orlando and Anna Maria

Loving the island as much as I do, no time is too long to stay on the island. I think your family will make wonderful memories with the beaches, mini golf, shops, restaurants, musuems and fishing piers.

As far as where to stay, since you are not staying an entire week so that can limit your choices as a lot of rentals require a 7 day stay but if you are considering Queens Gate, I can certainly recommend it. We've stayed there many times and have always have a great time. They have a cute little 2 bedroom house that is just a quick skip across to the beach and that's my favorite. It also has a big deck on the back for grilling and the pool area is very private and tropical. It is a great choice and the area is where you can walk to most everything.

Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to Orlando and Anna Maria

Great advice from Rusty.

Jane- you didn't mention how old your 3 kids are.

My children are 8 and 11 and never want to leave the island.

We did split a trip between Orlando and AMI three years ago, and the whole time we were wishing we were at the beach. We like Orlando (Sea World and the water parks are our favorites), but we love AMI.

My kids are easily entertained by a pool and beach, though.

HTH.

Bloomington, Indiana
Level Contributor
239 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to Orlando and Anna Maria

We made the mistake once in going to AMI for a few days before attending a conference in Orlando for a few days. We should have done it the other way around since the entire time we were in Orlando, we were wishing we were back in AMI. Even now that we go every year, we still don't seem to leave the island much (except to cross the bridge to Cortez to go to Starfish). If you go to AMI first, you may find your desire to then go to Orlando much diminished! :)

Our annual two weeks in AMI is in October but we are now trying to figure out a way to also go in May or June because waiting an entire year to return each year is just too long to wait.

4. Re: Trip to Orlando and Anna Maria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Anna Maria Island