We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best route from orlando to AMI

hampshire
Level Contributor
147 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
best route from orlando to AMI

travelling with my wife and 3 teenage children. Want a nice route with lots to see. Will be leaving early morning and don't need to arrive until late afternoon so want to make the most of the drive. Any ideas? Whats good to see on the way? Places to stoip to eat/

thanks

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,981 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best route from orlando to AMI

The BEST route, is via I4, I75 south, to Rt 64. But you only See once you get to 64 near the island. It could take you as little as 2 hours.

If you have time to kill, and dont mind a bit longer drive, try I4 to I275. Then south over the sunshine skyway bridge (great view, small toll) to the Palmetto exit and cut over to rt 64 on rt 41. Should you have Even more time, cut over to the ocean at rt 60, then back to I275 at pinellas Bayway- this will give you the coastal rd from Clearwater beach to St pete beach.

The BEST drive (apart from over the Sunshine skyway which I love despite being afraId of heights in general) is te one from rt 64 on AMI down to Lido Key along Anna Maria, Longboat, Lido keys.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,641 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: best route from orlando to AMI

Because the Florida terrain is so flat the scenery is usually along the coast if there is a road that runs along it. There isn't always one.

From Orlando to AMI you will not be near the coast until you are on AMI. But on the way, off I-4, if this is of interest there's Fantasy Of Flight and Dinosaur World - google them for details.

Do you want to do shopping on the way or will you be already shopped out! There's Posner Plaza at the junction of hwy 27 and I-4 ... at the SE corner.

hampshire
Level Contributor
147 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best route from orlando to AMI

I was thinking of heading to tampa then over what looks like two bridges and down to Cortez for lunch. What do u think. Yes outlet shopping on route would be ideal, any ideas

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best route from orlando to AMI

Outlet shopping at Ellenton outlet mall. Great shopping. If you will have a kitchen there is a huge fruit market at the same exit as dinosaur world. Parksdale farms I think really good stuff and just off the interstate. Branch Forbes Rd.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,981 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best route from orlando to AMI

The outlet shopping is on the inland route, not the coastal scenic route.

essen, germany
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Anna Maria Island, Orlando
Level Contributor
3,981 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best route from orlando to AMI

Yes, others already wrote the 2 options :-)

Just hop on I4, at Exit 8 you change to I75 Direction Naples and keep going until exit 224... This is where the Ellenton Outlets are :-)

7. Re: best route from orlando to AMI

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 March 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Anna Maria Island