We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The 2 important things to ask about, Booze and Shopping

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
The 2 important things to ask about, Booze and Shopping

What are my liquor store options for wines and a bottle of vodka? What are the do not miss shops for souvenirs/tshirts to drag home for the family? What shops are just wonderful regardless of what they sell - and I shouldn't miss it?

Anna Maria Rocks
Gift & Speciality Shops
Beach Bums Island Attitude
Stand-Up Paddleboarding, Kayaking & Canoeing, Equipment Hire, Gift & Speciality Shops, Water Sports
Olive Oil Outpost
Gift & Speciality Shops
AMI
Level Contributor
167 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: The 2 important things to ask about, Booze and Shopping

I don't know anything except booze.......Walgreens.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The 2 important things to ask about, Booze and Shopping

Coming from NJ, I find it odd/foreign to be able to buy wine in the same place I get my cold meds. Having said that - how is the Walgreens selection? I don't always like the boxed variety and that's what I imagine. I could be way off...

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,466 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The 2 important things to ask about, Booze and Shopping

walgreens has a fab selection!!! not boxed junk wine, etc....enjoy

Indiana
Level Contributor
98 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The 2 important things to ask about, Booze and Shopping

I would say to go to Ginnie and Jane E's for some fun shopping. They have just about everything and a lot of fun kitchy stuff. You can also get a great breakfast or lunch while there. It's fun just to discover what's hidden in there.

Sheffield(UK)
Level Contributor
63 posts
318 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The 2 important things to ask about, Booze and Shopping

I too can recommend Walgreens. Great selection of gin and vodka. We usually buy a 1.5 liter bottle of Bombay Saphire or a similar size bottle of Grey Goose vodka. Last year they stocked a wonderful tall swan neck bottle of Grey Goose. If I wasn't a UK resident I would have bought several bottles for presents.

By the way, coming from the UK it is bizarre that we have cannot buy spirits in the supermarket. At first we did three circuits of Publix looking for gin.

Nevertheless we love America and the American people.

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The 2 important things to ask about, Booze and Shopping

For shopping, there are three major areas, and lots of good stuff in between. Bridge Street has a lot of stuff, then there is the area north of Rt. 64, at the curve, with Sand Dollar, and the place with the parrots. Then there is Pine Avenue. Other stuff in between, but plenty of great shopping!

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
245 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The 2 important things to ask about, Booze and Shopping

Is that by state or county that the grocery store can't sell alcohol? We have alcohol sales in our grocery stores in st. louis. This was good to know that we will need to stop at Walgreens too!

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The 2 important things to ask about, Booze and Shopping

I think liquor laws are a state by state thing.

Tampa
Destination Expert
for Anna Maria
Level Contributor
4,833 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The 2 important things to ask about, Booze and Shopping

There are several places to buy your liquior (I'm an expert), Walgreens would definately be the best choice for the best price. There is also a package store beside Hurricane Hanks and that is nearer to where I think you are staying. If you go there, dont miss the Sanddollar Gift Store, it is across the street and my favorite. There is also a liquior package store in the Drift Inn on Bridge Street but it's pricey!

I would suggest Publix for your wine selections, they have weekly specials and some times they have really great wines at buy 1 get one free.

For your tacky, beachy souvenirs (we all got to have them), there is a place in the same little shopping plaza as Walgreens but I like The Green Parriot off Gulf Drive on the southern end of the island and the shop that is right on Bridge Street.

If you get over the Cortez Bridge and check out the fishing village and Star Fish Company (great place for lunch) you really need to check out the Sea Hagg, it is amazing, all kinds of nautical and interesting stuff, pricey and artisy but crazy and unusual . You'll want to take your camera!!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The 2 important things to ask about, Booze and Shopping

Oh you guys are great! I'm making a list, checking it twice. I'm determined to take a day to just simply explore - as I love the adventure of finding out about new destinations. I'm counting down the days...