We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Review: First time visit... many reasons to come back!!

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
68 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Review: First time visit... many reasons to come back!!

We just arrived home from our first visit to AMI. We LOVED IT! Yes it was crowded due to Spring Break but it didn't ruin our week at all! We stayed in a duplex in Hoimes Beach (I will review that later). We arrived mid afternoon so we grabbed a few beers and burgers from Duffy's. Hit the spot after driving 21 hours in crazy traffic! The highlights of our trip included the beaches, donuts from Made to order donuts (long wait but worth it!!), eating at the Sandbar, kayaking the preserve, and riding our bikes all over!

We found the key to eating out was to go early. We spent most of the day in the sun and were ready to be out of the sun by 4 or 5. We rarely waited more than 10 minutes and often walked right in. We fell in love with the north end and will be renting a place up there next year.

We rented bikes, wagon, and kayaks thru Just 4 Fun rentals. They were terrific to deal with! We had rented a boat but the weather did not cooperate and they were more than willing to refund our money. We will use them next year as well.

We have vacationed in many places and found AMI to be just what we were looking for. Family oriented, lots of recreational opportunities that are free or minimal in cost, great food, casual and unpretentious.

lexington, ky
Level Contributor
744 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Review: First time visit... many reasons to come back!!

Yep, the magic of the island is wonderful. I too like the north end best, and that is where we usually stay. Great for riding bikes, and love the shops on Pine. Love cocktails at Sandbar, outside on the patio. 33 days and counting!

sunderland, uk
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Review: First time visit... many reasons to come back!!

great report we have 16 months to go before our first visit. So looking forward to it.

Level Contributor
78 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Review: First time visit... many reasons to come back!!

I know just what you mean. We used to plan a variety of vacations...and now we just want to go back to Anna Maria Island...magical I think! We have been going for about 8 years. Can't wait to go back in July. We have not tried the donut place yet but it sounds like a must do, thanks.

Edited: 08 April 2013, 05:44
Tampa
Destination Expert
for Anna Maria
Level Contributor
4,833 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Review: First time visit... many reasons to come back!!

Glad you had a wonderful 1St trip, sounds like it will not be the last. AMI is magical and each trip is different but the first is always special.

MN
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Review: First time visit... many reasons to come back!!

I cannot wait for our first trip either! 23 days for us....it will not come soon enough!

Michigan
Level Contributor
181 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Review: First time visit... many reasons to come back!!

Just returned myself from our 5th trip to AMI. I think DD will take us to Disney next year as DS heads off to college but hopefully 2015 will bring us back to AMI again. Shout out to Club Bamboo South, room 222, very nice and cindy was very helpful. I will say the island was not overly crowded after Easter Sunday which was nice.....unfortunate rain on Thursday lead to an early exit but still a wonderful 5 1/2 days on the island.

New Forest, United...
Level Contributor
268 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Review: First time visit... many reasons to come back!!

Glad to hear you enjoyed your first trip. We have been many times over the last 20 years and stay somewhere different each time. Yet to find a spot we dont like so never worry too much were it is. Looking forward to our next trip in September. Holmes Beach this time so a hop skip and a jump to the beach, slow wander to Eat Here and an easy stagger home from the bars, Cant wait.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Review: First time visit... many reasons to come back!!

SBYL, looking for your review about the duplex you stayed in.....??? Was it 2810 Ave. E (flip flops)?

9. Re: Review: First time visit... many reasons to come back!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 April 2014, 06:19