We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time to Anna Maria Island...where to stay????

woodbridge,nj
Level Contributor
345 posts
Save Topic
1st time to Anna Maria Island...where to stay????

Hello,

My family and I decided to add 2 extra days to our weeklong vacation in August. We now decided to spend 2 nights on Anna Maria Island and then drive to the east coast for the rest of the week. I know nothing of Anna Maria Island other than beautiful beaches (courtesy of a facebook picture...lol) and saw it on a episode of House Hunters. From the little bit of research I did I guess there is a Holmes Beach and Bradenton beach. Is there much difference in each one? One or any better than the other? It would be my husband, our two sons (2 and 7) and my parents traveling. We would need a 2 bedroom or a 1 bedroom with a sleeper sofa. We want a place that has a pool and is on the beach. I've seen that some places say "across the street" from beach...If we weren't traveling with my parents it would be fine but for this time I'd like to avoid it. We don't need fancy but don't want a bates motel either. Old florida charm would be awesome (and not too expensive...lol). We are now breaking the bank since our car rental will have to originate in either tampa or fort myers and end at palm beach int'l.

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you soooo much!!!!

mina

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time to Anna Maria Island...where to stay????

Begin with LaCostaa, palm tree viLllas, or sunrise, villas

woodbridge,nj
Level Contributor
345 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time to Anna Maria Island...where to stay????

thanks...i will look into them all. is sunrise the one that was on house hunters? I thought that one was not on the beach.

United States
Level Contributor
6,548 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time to Anna Maria Island...where to stay????

There are actually three areas to Anna Maria Island. They are north to south, Anna Maria, Holmes Beach, and Bradenton Beach. They also go most quiet to least quiet, north to south. Neither Palm Tree Villas or Sunrise are on the beach. They were probably suggested based on your needing two nights only. A lot of places will want a week. Also, on the beach is more expensive. That's a start. I'll have to think about it awhile, but in the meantime, others with specific places already thought of, might give you some ideas. Hope you find what you want though.

woodbridge,nj
Level Contributor
345 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time to Anna Maria Island...where to stay????

thanks for the breakdown. i was looking into tortuga inn so far but la costa looks kind of nice as well. i think spending around $200-250 for a 2 bdrm is reasonable for us...less is always better too.

not sure if it sounds much (but to me it does) but our 1 week minivan rental for our stay on the east coast was about $400. now that i'm adding 2 days and pick up/drop off in different locations our rental jumped to $725...ouch!!!

United States
Level Contributor
6,548 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st time to Anna Maria Island...where to stay????

Hey, I hear ya on everything costing. That's why we drive our own car as much as we can on vacations. Airline tickets, car rental, and then the vacation rental really add up. Plus you gotta eat!

I think La Costa is one of the nicest places in a reasonable (?) price range. Tortuga is nice, but you will have to cross the street to get to the beach. If you can afford La Costa, that's what I would pick.

United States
Level Contributor
6,548 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st time to Anna Maria Island...where to stay????

Oops. Did you look at La Costa website where it said one week minimum rental? I thought that was the case, but I didn't mention it above because I thought someone told me they will work with you if one of the units is not rented for the days you need. The guy who handles them is really nice, but I can't remember his name.

Tortuga Inn rents for less than a week. Good Luck.

Edited: 23 April 2013, 04:34
Level Contributor
78 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st time to Anna Maria Island...where to stay????

Anna Maria Island Inn has units on the beach that are great that you can rent by the day. They do have a pool but the pool is located across the street where they have more units (those rent for less). We stayed there several times, staff friendly and helpful. View was awesome. Once we stayed on beach side lower level and you can walk right out your door and be on the beach. A few times we stayed at an upper level beach side unit. Great view from the nice deck to have morning coffee. We saw dolphins swimming around 10 AM each day that we were there. Walk down the stairs and you are at the beach. There is also a place called Club Bamboo that is right on the beach and I think that they have a pool as well but we have never stayed there.

Edited: 23 April 2013, 07:07
Tampa
Destination Expert
for Anna Maria
Level Contributor
4,820 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st time to Anna Maria Island...where to stay????

Welcome, I know you will love the island. I think everyone has given you some great advise about the area, I always advise not to think too much about the area because the island is only 7 miles long and it is all paradise. The problem you may have is the 2 day stay and wanting a place directly on the beach. I would derfinately say La Costa but they require 7 day minimum. I would also strongly recommend Sunrise Gardens, which yes, they were the ones on House Hunters and their place is amazing. So, here are a few that are on the beach, have a pool and you can rent for 2 days.

Seaside Inn

Coconuts Beach Resort

White Sands

Harrington House - They have other units along the beach other than the B&B

Blue Water Beach Club

If you can go without a pool and right on the beach:

Angelinas Sea Lodge

Beach House Resort

Sailfish Gulf Suites

Bamboo Apartments

And if you can walk across the 2 lane street

Queens Gate

Tradeswinds

Tortuga Resort

Tropic Isle

And please consider Sunrise Gardens or Palm Tree Villas, wonderful places, awesome pool but just a little walk to beach.

woodbridge,nj
Level Contributor
345 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st time to Anna Maria Island...where to stay????

Wow Wow Wow....THANK YOU to everyone for all your valuable information. I'm definately putting alot more into this because I have my parents with me this time. If it was me, hubby and kids I wouldn't stress so much about it. I have alot of researching to do tonight!!!

Doughnut....if we could drive from jersey we would but our SUV wont hold 6 passengers and luggage. also, will be too long of a drive with the parental figures in the car and too many pee breaks. LOL

Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st time to Anna Maria Island...where to stay????

mina-

This is off topic, but try this code at Budget for a mini-van: x474200

I used random dates with different airports for drop-off and pick-up and it came to $430 including tax for 9 days in mid-August.

Also, if you are a Fastbreak member (free) you can bypass the long lines at the counter in many airports.

HTH.

jkelly

Get answers to your questions about Anna Maria Island