We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Island Beach Monkey Transport

Tampa
Destination Expert
for Anna Maria
Level Contributor
4,761 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Island Beach Monkey Transport

We were so excited about using this service, I read a few things on the forum and thought this was a great idea. We like watching the sunset and then going out to eat and having a few cocktails but 10:00 cut-off time for the trolley is just too early. I called Island Beach Monkey on Friday morning and spoke with Debbie and she said they would be happy to arrange a pick-up for us later that night but to be safe, call them that evening to confirm. I called them around 9:00 and asked for a pick-up between 11:00 and 11:30 in front of the Drift-In and sure enough, we are standing on Bridge Street around 11:15 and here comes this cool, colorful, funky, open air cart, honking the horn. They driver didnt know we were a block up from Dift-In so we watched him and he actually went inside calling my name. We caught up with him and he could not have been any nicer, I had to ask him to wait a few minutes for our friends that had gone over to the sports bar and he was happy to do it. It was a fun and safe way to get us home, right up to our door. A great way to end an awesome evening.

As far as price, I asked him what he charged and he said they go by tips so there were four of us and I figures it was certainly worth $5.00 a person so I gave him $20.00 and he seemed pleased but I think he would have been happy with any amount, just seemed to be that kind of guy.

I hope the service does well on the island. For those of us who like to have a few drinks, listen to music and will not drive while drinking, this is a perfect service.

west midlands
Level Contributor
227 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Island Beach Monkey Transport

Thank you for posting this recommendation the service sounds great. Like you on some nights 10pm is too early to go home if you want to enjoy a couple of cocktails after dinner. We will definitely be using this.

North Branch...
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Island Beach Monkey Transport

The Island Beach Monkeys Now also offers rides on the (Monkey Bus) W/ Karaoke and more for fun! 941-565-6542 call for rides

Tampa
Destination Expert
for Anna Maria
Level Contributor
4,761 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Island Beach Monkey Transport

Yes, we used the bus the last time we were there, it was a blast!!

United States
Level Contributor
6,136 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Island Beach Monkey Transport

Is the Monkey Bus also only by call in reservation, or does it do a route for the late night people?

Tampa
Destination Expert
for Anna Maria
Level Contributor
4,761 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Island Beach Monkey Transport

I guess it depends on how busy they are but we have always called them to tell them where we want to go and when we want to be picked up and they are right there for us. It is a great service.

northwest
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Island Beach Monkey Transport

More fun to be had!!!!!

cleveland
Level Contributor
912 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Island Beach Monkey Transport

RustyKat, thank you for this detailed report! This sounds right up our alley...as we rarely venture to Bridge Street at night because of the drinking and driving issue. I have a follow-up questions.

Were you staying at the north end of AMI...and, if not, are they willing to cart you that far?

Also, did you guys take the trolley there and the monkey back? Of all the times we've been to AMI, we've never taken advantage of trolley. Stupid on our part.

Tampa
Destination Expert
for Anna Maria
Level Contributor
4,761 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Island Beach Monkey Transport

amagar, we have done both and yes, they will pick you and drop you off anywhere on the island. Normally we stay at La Costa in the Bradenton Beach area and either walk to Bridge Street or ride the trolley and then get a ride back with Island Monkey. Last time we played on the beach all day, had happy and didn't want to walk or ride the trolley so we called them and they picked us up at La Costa, took us to Bridge Street, picked us up when I had asked them to (a few hours later) and we weren't finished yet so they too us to the north end to Bare Foot Tiki Bar. We asked that they pick us back up in an hour and sure enough, they were right there for us even waiting on us while we paid our tab. They have been very accommodating for us but we tip them well and the times we go aren't at peak season. I heard that they will go to Longboat Key too.

cleveland
Level Contributor
912 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Island Beach Monkey Transport

Wow! This opens up a whole new world to us...as we stick pretty close to home (rental) for our nightlife on AMI. Hubby and I are already plotting, dare I say it, a "crawl" along Bridge Street now. And we might even crawl the area around Eat Here, Hurricane Hanks, the Tiki Bar (haven't been yet) if we survive the Bridge Street crawl.

Thanks, RustyKat. Glad you enjoyed your recent trip...and thanks for making sure the rest of us enjoy ours with all the great info you provide : )

Tampa
Destination Expert
for Anna Maria
Level Contributor
4,761 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Island Beach Monkey Transport

Thank you for the compliment, means a lot to me. When you go to Bridge Street, make sure you go to The Drift-In for at least one drink, it's a dire hard locals bar, horribly smoky but the drinks are cheap, it's free pour and the White Russians are awesome and you can meet some very interesting characters. Doreen usually bartends at night and she is a real gem. The sports bar next door is also a fun place, love the shuffle board table!

Don't forget DeCoy Ducks, they have the best bloody mary on the island, to me anyway! The Anchor Inn beside Mr. Bones is another interesting, local place too with good pool tables. Have FUN