We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the best way to see manatee in July?

Bristol, Tennessee
Level Contributor
102 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
What is the best way to see manatee in July?

Thanks to everyone who posted an answer about kayaking on the island! We will be on AMI the first week of July. I know that there is no guaranteed way to see manatee in the wild, but what will give us the best chance of seeing them? I would like to see them in the wild, either by kayaking or viewing them from land. What/where would be our best bet to get to see them in the wild? Are the manatees still in this area this time of the year or have they moved to a different area? If we had to go see them at a museum, should we go see Snooty @ Bradenton Museum? I want to see them, but don't want to drive more than 45 minutes or so to do it. Thank you in advance for all of your suggestions!

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is the best way to see manatee in July?

Try either kayak or stand up paddle board Go out to the sandbar. Easy to find. Lighter water.

If not either visit Snooty or go to Mote and visit Hugh and Buffett.

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
568 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What is the best way to see manatee in July?

I say paddle board. When you are on a paddle board you are standing versus sitting while in a kayak. As for the area - that is hard to say, however, I have seen them at mouth of Bimini between the mouth and city pier. There is a huge grassy area they seem to feed. They are all over though, this is not the only spot. I have seen them on Gulf side too. It is funny that when you see on for the first time you may get startled.....you will notice this huge grey figure in the water and won't know what it is for a second !!! My heart has raced a few times.

Now is the time to see them and they are so friendly. I have paddled with them for over an hour before.

Have fun and let us know :)

MD
Level Contributor
58 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is the best way to see manatee in July?

I believe I replied to your previous post. Other than the kayak tour---which I am not sure yet where we meet, as we don't arrive until Aug. I will add that from land I found directions here at TA and we drove over twice last July.

The tip we got from Mark at Shan T Native Kayak tours is to go early in the morning, before 9a.m. is best. They are more active. You may see the parents playing with their babies. I saved the directions. It's a lovely community and we didn't have any trouble finding the harbor.

Leave AMI on Manatee Ave until after Sarasota bay

Right on Palma Sola

Go a few hundred meters to the little harbor on the left

Bristol, Tennessee
Level Contributor
102 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is the best way to see manatee in July?

Thank you for your suggestions! I think we will try driving over to the harbor area and try to take one of the kayak tours. I have never gone paddle boarding before, but that is a thought too!

Ottawa, Ohio
Level Contributor
72 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is the best way to see manatee in July?

I agree on the little harbor on Palma Sola right before the bridge.

It is a little park. We have always seen a few there.

Greeneville...
Level Contributor
50 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is the best way to see manatee in July?

Our family was playing on a sandbar when my daughter, asked, "Mom, what's that big black area behind you?" As you can imagine, I was horrified... almost too afraid to look! Turns out, it was an entire group of manatee. Apparently, they follow the tide bringing seaweed in. It was probably 2 or 3 o'clock in the afternoon.... But, when we realized what they were doing, we made it a point to look for them everyday. Everyday we saw them!!!

Cortez, Florida
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What is the best way to see manatee in July?

We live here but because of work and travel we do not own a boat! We have tried the Kayak tours .. Very really see a Manatee. Plus its getting so hot to paddle board or Kayak!

For me in July's heat! I think you would have far more luck renting a small skiff all day. We do several times a month in the summer! You can find deals for a little as $100 bucks a day for three to four people!

essen, germany
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Anna Maria Island, Orlando
Level Contributor
3,912 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What is the best way to see manatee in July?

Some of the locals may pop in to answer, but isn´t there a "local" manatee in the channels near Rod and Reel Pier?

I hear it is going there every day and one owner is giving him fresh water every day.

Can anyone confirm???

The advice with Palma Sola is spot on! I always try to see them there and yes, you can be lucky!! :-)

9. Re: What is the best way to see manatee in July?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 July 2014, 05:16