We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to AMI this Sunday... Have a few questions!

Spencerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
178 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
First time to AMI this Sunday... Have a few questions!

We are excited to visit AMI for the first time this Sunday. I have a few questions.

1. Need recommendations for a nice dinner for adults only. Somewhere preferably on the beach with beautiful views.

2. Is Publix the only grocery? We are staying at the north end of the island and wondered if there was anything toward that end ?

3. Opinions on renting golf carts for the week? I would love to but my husband is skeptical. If we do rent them, is it possible to go the entire length of the island on the cart?

4. My kids would like to go shopping one day- like at outlets. Any outlet mall close by

5. I've been watching the weather closely down there - shows storms every day!! Are we in for a week of rain and storms?

6. Does the trolley take you the full length of the island. And what happens if you are somewhere past the time the trolley runs and you need a ride home. Then what?!

Thanks so much for your help!!

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to AMI this Sunday... Have a few questions!

1. Beach bistro. Expensive, but really nice.

2. There is a small grocery on Pine. Publix for any major shopping.

3 a few parts you cannot go, not many, ask where you rent

4. Ellenton outlets, about 30 minutes.

5. Yes, there could be rain and showers every day. Generally for 20 to 30 minutes. Not all day

6. Yes, trolley does most of I sland, but does miss north of Pine. Island Monkeys is a tips only golf cart taxi. Google them.

Cork
Level Contributor
629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to AMI this Sunday... Have a few questions!

1 The SandBar http://sandbar.groupersandwich.com

2 Yes Publix is the only shop.

3 Not sure but a great way to get around.

4 Ellenton Outlet Mall 30 mins drive from the Island http://www.premiumoutlets.com

5 not sure

6 Yes Trolley runs length of Island if you are late out try Island Monkeys http://islandbeachmonkeys.com

Tampa
Destination Expert
for Anna Maria
Level Contributor
4,814 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to AMI this Sunday... Have a few questions!

The golf cart experience is awesome, it will allow you to cruise around the entire island and see things you would not normally see on the trolley or in your car. There are only a few streets that you can not drive on but they do not impact your travel at all. I recommend FunandMore Rentals, Dwayne is great to work with and he will deliver the cart to you and explain everything. We rented a 6 seater the last time and it was so comfy, easy to drive and so much fun. I highly recommend it, if you get it for the week I doubt that you will use your car at all.

I love Publix, it has everything you need but there are a few little stores on Pine Street that will have groceries and things you could stock up with.

Of course Beach Bistro is the place for the romantic beach dinner but be prepared to spend a lot of cash!!! An alternative would be the Beach House Restaurant, very good food and also on the beach.

Edited: 05 August 2013, 15:02
Fort Mitchell...
Level Contributor
735 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to AMI this Sunday... Have a few questions!

We are just south on Longboat and the weather is wonderful. I believe a 40% chance of rain means that maybe 40% of the people will see brief rain. We saw very few golf carts last night cruising around AMI. I would think a bike would be a better option. Easier to park! Beaches and streets were crowded. I have posted a few comments on the Longboat forum under "first impressions" if interested.

This area is beautiful.

Enjoy

Peace

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,936 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to AMI this Sunday... Have a few questions!

The Beach House.

I would mainly use Pib;ix even though they aren't the closest to you. Just use the closer shops for items you run out of.

Ellenton as said the closest outlets, but several good malls in Sarasota.

Rains everyday (if briefly) in FL in Summer. Remember than 30% chance of rain means 70% chance you'll stay dry.

MD
Level Contributor
64 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time to AMI this Sunday... Have a few questions!

That's the forecast every day because it's summer.

I've been here since Saturday and it has rained a little, but not for long or every day. No rain at all yesterday. The *worst* thing that happened was getting caught in a morning shower on Sunday while bike riding...which was awesome because we were hot, and it made me feel like a kid again.

BTW if you decide against the golf cart, biking is great up here on the North end.

7. Re: First time to AMI this Sunday... Have a few questions!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 August 2014, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Anna Maria Island