We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Anna Maria Island by Bicycle

Saint Louis...
1 post
Save Topic
Getting to Anna Maria Island by Bicycle

We're staying outside of Anna Maria island, and I want to bike to Anna Maria island. Is there a good/legal road to ride on to get there? As I recall Cortez is two lane, and riding on that doens't seem like an awesome idea.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,716 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Anna Maria Island by Bicycle

The roads from the mainland to AMI are too busy to risk riding a bicycle. I've never noticed any bike lanes, nor people riding on the road.

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Anna Maria Island by Bicycle

There is a wide sidewalk, perfect for bike riding along Rt. 64. It is set back a bit from the road, and shared with walkers and joggers, but very safe.

Virginia
Level Contributor
259 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Anna Maria Island by Bicycle

While we've been on AMI, we have ridden bicycles across both the Manatee and Cortez bridges by bicycle. IIRC, we rode on a a marked path for a little while and then also used a sidewalk. After crossing the Manatee bridge, we went as far as the bridge that is a part of Robinson Preserve. After crossing the Cortez bridge, we made it all the way through Cortez.

I don't recall feeling stressed about the traffic. However, we didn't go very far.

Mike

northwest
Level Contributor
1,161 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Anna Maria Island by Bicycle

We rode our bikes all over for the month we were there mostly taking Cortez because we were closest to it but we were impressed at just how bike friendly it was. We never felt nevous about it. You will be fine.

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
568 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Anna Maria Island by Bicycle

Stick to the sidewalks before you get on the island to stay safe! I'm not sure where you are coming from but Longboat Key has a bike lane. Once you are on the island bike riding is a breeze! Low speed limits and lots to see and do!

Have Fun!

6. Re: Getting to Anna Maria Island by Bicycle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 December 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Anna Maria Island