We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Publix? Any other options?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Publix? Any other options?

Last year we grocery shopped at the Publix on the island. And yes, while they were small, crowded and had anything we needed - I found that it was lacking, as compared to a Wegman's, Whole Foods, etc. Is there an option off island that would offer a better/upscale choices with regard to cheeses, artisian breads, etc? **My big find last year was ABC Liquors - great selection on wines and spirits and prices were fantastic!

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,113 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Publix? Any other options?

Well there are much larger Publix stores off island, as normal Publix stores do have a very wide rage. The AMI location is smaller so can't carry all the lines.

In Sarasota, there is both Whole Foods and Trader Joes. Not sure abt Bradenton, try their websites. Also there is a Panera Bread on Cortez avenue.

Ottawa, Ohio
Level Contributor
72 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Publix? Any other options?

I love Publix for the following reasons,in the following order. Super friendly people, on the island, great selection, great seafood counter, great meat counter, great beer selection, got to mention the key lime pie and steamed shrimp with old bay seasoning (thanks to Rusty)

Anna Maria FL USA
Level Contributor
184 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Publix? Any other options?

There is a big PUBLIX just off the island at 75th and Manatee Ave .It has full sized dept's and more choices for foods.

There is also a FRESH MARKET at 6701 Manatee Ave. It is a specialty grocery store.

In Anna Maris city there is the Olive Oil Outpost that has a lot of artisan foods.

IHTH Sumo

United States
Level Contributor
6,400 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Publix? Any other options?

We've stopped at the Manatee Publix, and it is larger, which means more selection. But I actually like the AMI Publix better. There's something about, when I'm on vacation, and everyone else is too, all are more friendly to each other! I like that atmosphere.

I was actually surprised the first time I was on AMI, that the Publix had all that it did, in such a small space.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
83 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Publix? Any other options?

My recollection is that there was a very small but well curated selection of specialty items at the AMI Fish Market. But we often bring our preferred coffee, olive oil, specialty items with us.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
83 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Publix? Any other options?

Just thought of this when posting on another thread: Mazzaro's Italian Market in St. Pete is an amazing place with fresh breads, cheeses, and a full array of Italian prepared foods and specialty products. It's not at all convenient for a grocery run, but a great place to stock up on provision when coming in over the Sunshine Skyway from TPA, or otherwise in St. Pete. (For example, if you are a Phillies fan coming from Clearwater....)

http://www.mazzarosmarket.com/

A lot more personality than Fresh Market...

Gaylord, Michigan
Level Contributor
983 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Publix? Any other options?

We enjoyed shopping at Fresh Market www.thefreshmarket.com Organic as well as the usual items.

Publix is good on the Island but if it's crowded it's hard to get around as the aisles are much narrower than the Publix on the mainland, but it's still a good store. If we have a lot on our list we go over to Publix on Manatee across the bridge. We also have been to Mazzaro's many times. It's getting busier now and if you don't get there first thing in the morning it is crazy there. You cannot move.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Publix? Any other options?

Mazzaro's look fabulous! Is it 'easy on/easy off' the highway?

Atlanta
Level Contributor
83 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Publix? Any other options?

There's an exit off of I-275 for 22nd Ave. It's a little less than a mile straight down 22nd. Easy

Beverly...
Level Contributor
69 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Publix? Any other options?

We finally checked out the Chop Shop on Manatee Ave, a meat market, in Jan. We were surprised at the selection of meats, specialty meats, cooked foods, and grocery items. We bought a rack of their cooked bbq ribs, delicious. Waaaaay better than Mr. Bones, sorry Bones. We ended up getting them a second time.

We do like the island Publix just fine. I like the Key Lime Pie without the almonds.

Peace and Paint,

Debbie

Get answers to your questions about Anna Maria Island