We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Feb 1 Beach update

kutztown, pa
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Feb 1 Beach update

So we were sitting on the beach at 1200 Gulf Drive and the "most hated man on the beach" drove up in a truck. After he got in the water and tool a lot of measurements he said that we could expect construction in 7 days and that they were on schedule. Good news for some---bad news for us.

BTW--he was a nice guy so please stop yelling at him when he comes your way

United States
Level Contributor
6,300 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Feb 1 Beach update

mountainmare, do you mean that you have to listen to the loud equipment for 7 more days?? I understand that the rental companies have no control over it, but seems like maybe a discount is in order when people rented without the awareness of the work to be done, or the length of time for which they would be affected.

kutztown, pa
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Feb 1 Beach update

Right now they are quite a way up the beach so we're not in the middle of construction. He said it would be 7 days until they are right in front of us, then it will be very bright and noisy. As far as the rental company Mike Norman send out an e-mail after we were here saying it was out of their control and they only knew the official info. When we checked in I asked and was told that they would be in front of us for three days and then move on...we'll see.

If it is too bad and too long we will ask for some consideration of a rebate. It is not cheap to rent directly on the beach. The beauty is that this entire house faces the Gulf--including the bedroom. This is why we rent here, all we can do is wait and see.

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
207 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Feb 1 Beach update

If you happen to speak to "the man" again, would be be a gem and ask a question for me? We're looking at staying on Longboat (4000 Block) the first week of June. I know that after finishing AMI, they're to move on to LBK.

I would love to find out 1- How far south on LBK will they be going, and 2- What's the worst case scenario as to how long this should take.

Any info is appreciated :)

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
168 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Feb 1 Beach update

The big brown pipe is visible on web cams for Harrington House (5626 Gulf Drive)

http://www.islandreal.com/about-us/beach-cam/

and Cedar Cove (2710 Gulf Drive)

www.cedarcoveresort.com/webcam/live.html

While most of the action may be south of these locations, yesterday I saw some equipment rolling by on the Cedar Cove web cam. Looked like a life-size version of a child's sandbox.

United States
Level Contributor
6,300 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Feb 1 Beach update

Cedar Cove is a new beachcam for me. Thanks, gm!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Feb 1 Beach update

We came to AMI for the first time last year and decided to book a gulf front vacation rental for this year. We were pretty disappointed when we saw the big brown pipe all along the beach. The rental company never said a word about it. But I guess we can count ourselves lucky that the work is done at this end and it's quiet.

Aitkin, Minnesota
Level Contributor
45 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Feb 1 Beach update

We are arriving Feb. 28 in the Holmes Beach area. Will the "big brown pipe" still be on the beach? I saw it on the webcams and it does look a bit intrusive.

Anna Maria Island...
Level Contributor
56 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Feb 1 Beach update

The 'big brown pipe' is an eye soar, that I agree with.

The rental companies had NO idea of the scheduling for this project especially a year in advanced when most people re-book for the winter time. The foreman working the project has told people that a letter was sent to all gulf front property owners informing them of this. THIS IS NOT TRUE!

This matter is out of rental companies hands and as much as these kinds of companies want you to be happy they do not own the homes they rent. Each home is individually and privately owned so each owner has there opinion on this project.

Kick back and relax on island time people!

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
168 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Feb 1 Beach update

Here's a link to an article about the beach renourishment from today's Bradenton Herald:

bradenton.com/2014/02/04/4972013/anna-maria-…

Newport, Rhode...
Level Contributor
663 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Feb 1 Beach update

The equiptment as of today is directly in line with Sharkeys and the recently renovated "Sandy Toes." There is an extensive article on the project published in this weeks Islander that went to press yesterday, see Islander.org

Get answers to your questions about Anna Maria Island