We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Trip to AMI with Toddler

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
54 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
First Trip to AMI with Toddler

We are planning our first trip to AMI in June and we will be with our toddler. We would really appreciate any advice on which area to stay and specific hotel recommendations would be even better. We want an easy trip so proximity to the beach, family friendly fun areas and cleanliness are very important.

Any tips on family activities would also be much appreciated.

One last thing, would you recommend this island for a trip with a toddler at all? Does it cater well to families with young children?

Thanks!

Edited: 11 February 2014, 18:06
United States
Level Contributor
6,648 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Trip to AMI with Toddler

AMI is definitely family friendly. No problem for you to bring a toddler. To get the best suggestions, you might want to mention how long you plan to stay, since staying a full week, Saturday to Saturday, will get you more choices in accommodations. If you want to be on the beach, without crossing the street, then a condo would be your best bet price wise.

Tampa
Destination Expert
for Anna Maria
Level Contributor
4,832 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Trip to AMI with Toddler

Doughnut is right, let us know how long you can stay because if you stay less than a week it will limit your options. If you are staying an entire week, I would recommend a condo too and we always stay at La Costa, great location,reasonably priced, beautiful, safe pool area and covered parking which doesn't seem a big deal but believe me it is in the summer when it is 95 degrees getting in and out of your car! It is also very family friendly.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
54 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Trip to AMI with Toddler

Our initial thoughts were to stay for 5 days but we are definitely open to staying one week... we just aren't sure if we would run out of things to do.

We would absolutely love to stay right on the beach. Can you also recommend hotel options?

I suppose I should have also mentioned that we were not thinking of renting a car. Would that be possible or do we need a car to get around the island?

Kansas City
Level Contributor
341 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Trip to AMI with Toddler

We will be traveling to AMI in June with our two sons. One will turn 3 during the trip and the other will be about 16 months. We are staying at La Costa based on recommendations here and it being what we needed. We an island trip to the Caribbean when our first was a year old and it was amazing. With dragging two kids now though, we wanted to be able to walk right out of a condo and step onto the beach. I think the beach is great for a toddler vacation because they can just play and run around, it's just not really the lay on the beach and have drinks kind of vacation that it used to be!

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
54 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Trip to AMI with Toddler

I'm so glad to hear that families with toddlers vacation in AMI!

Nicolle_in_KC, were you planning on renting a car? We were hoping to avoid it considering we would also need to rent a car seat.

Thanks again everyone!

United States
Level Contributor
6,648 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Trip to AMI with Toddler

You don't have to have a car, but it would be a nice convenience. Staying a week, you will want groceries, realize you need to run to Walgreens, etc. You could always take the car seat as a carry-on on the plane.

We usually keep checking prices on car rentals as our vacation gets closer. They change so often and you can usually get an on-line code to get a reduced rate. Something to think about anyway . . .

Springfield...
Level Contributor
91 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Trip to AMI with Toddler

We actually made our first trip to AMI last June, just us. This year we are coming back with our 4 year old. It seemed very family friendly. We also love being able to rent a house with a pool near the beach for a reasonable rate. We took him to Captiva last year and he loved it. Haven't yet ventured out of the states with him though. The AMI experts on here are always very helpful and have lots of great info!

I don't have any info on hotels/condos since we have only rented a house near the beach. I would definitely recommend renting a car though. We always take our car seat and gate check it so we don't have to rent one.

Edited: 12 February 2014, 02:22
Springfield...
Level Contributor
91 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Trip to AMI with Toddler

We actually made our first trip to AMI last June, just us. This year we are coming back with our 4 year old. It seemed very family friendly. We also love being able to rent a house with a pool near the beach for a reasonable rate. We took him to Captiva last year and he loved it. Haven't yet ventured out of the states with him though. The AMI experts on here are always very helpful and have lots of great info!

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Trip to AMI with Toddler

AMI is the most family friendly island we have seen. With a couple of possible exceptions, all the restaurants have kids meals. Kids love the beach, but nearby is also Mote Aquarium, Jungle Gardens, Selby Gardens, the Ringling Museum, and many parks. There are playgrounds at each public beach. You could get around on the free trolley, but lugging groceries and a toddler would be a hassle. Also, some of the attractions are in nearby Sarasota.

Bloomington, Indiana
Level Contributor
242 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Trip to AMI with Toddler

I don't think you will have any problem running out of things to do. Your biggest one may be tearing yourselves away from the beach to do something else. :) Of course with the winter we are having in Indiana, we would like nothing better than vegging on the beach for a week! Rusty can give you the best advice on lodging.