We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Packing up and sadly heading north

kutztown, pa
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Packing up and sadly heading north

Well I'm almost packed and getting ready to head north--taking a bit of a Jekyll island beach stay on the way. After all my angst over the beach project we did dodge the bullet. Storms and wind have kept our last three nights quiet with only the waves to hear.

This trip was a mixed bag. Timing is everything and this time while we were very very lucky to not be in the winter from hell we had bumps.

The weather was marginal a lot of the time (but not a gazillion degrees below zero with tons of snow). We are right across the street from Silver Surf which had a total gut renovation (which started every morning promptly at 7). We enjoy beachwalking up to Manatee beach and the renourishment was ugly but necessary--I know). When they finally made it to around Sea Side

we could hear the construction at night.

Someone mentioned awhile ago a different feel and she promptly was told she was wrong. Well I second this--there is a slight different feel, an attitude that you are a lowly annoying tourist. If this was our first trip we wouldn't return.

That is not to say that we didn't meet a lot of wonderful people with great smiles and willing to go the extra mile.

The advantage of not so great weather is we finally got off the island to explore the great museums and other attraction right here.

The jury is sort of out about if we will return next year, probably will hoping this was an off time because we really do love the island.

United States
Level Contributor
6,440 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Packing up and sadly heading north

Appreciate your honest, good and bad, opinion of your trip, mountainmare. Every trip is not as good as another, and I think that is why sometimes people post that they didn't like a place and would never go back. Their first trip was a bust and they don't give it another chance. Thankfully for you, like you said it wasn't your first trip to AMI and you know the next trip will likely be different, and better!

Have a safe trip home!

United States
Level Contributor
6,440 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Packing up and sadly heading north

Forgot to add, keep reminding yourself, you did get a month away from "the winter from hell".

Illinois
Level Contributor
481 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Packing up and sadly heading north

I second doughnut in saying how much I enjoyed reading the ups and downs of your stay (and looked forward to seeing if there were updates!). Having never been to Anna Maria in the winter, I wonder if the vibe is different in summer vs. winter.

You're right about exploring other attractions when you can't fully enjoy the island. I know that one vacation when it seemed to rain almost every day, we toured the Ringling Museum complex and loved it. We wouldn't have done so if the weather had been nicer, because we are basically beach people. Really, I can only get my hubby to explore shops when it's raining or it's late afternoon/evening. So the overall success of any vacation would be how great the water, weather, beach was.

Have a safe trip back to the cold, snowy stuff.

Gaylord, Michigan
Level Contributor
983 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Packing up and sadly heading north

It's funny but in past years we had the same experience with attitudes that you did mountainmare, but this year, all was good! We were more north of you and frequented some of our old standby's with the usual good, friendly service such as Solo's and Beach Cafe We decided to try some new places this year and really enjoyed Duffy's and Skinny's, going back 3 times to each and Eat Here. Great service at Island Real Estate and loved Palm Isle Village. Luckily we were across the street from the beach and didn't hear the re-nourishment much as that was really something.

We were lucky as we had a wonderful vacation and I'm so glad we came back.

New Forest, United...
Level Contributor
261 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Packing up and sadly heading north

I really have enjoyed reading your posts over the last few weeks. It seems like you have been there forever. Sorry it wasn't the greatest but it does seen like everything was against you this trip. Where ever you go next time you will know what questions to ask.

Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,302 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Packing up and sadly heading north

Mountainmare-

I am so sad to see you go! It was really nice to read your updates and imagine what it would be like to be in AMI for a whole month! If it's any consolation, this past month up north has been really difficult, to say the least. I am a lifer up here, and an avid skier, but, enough already! Thank you for posting here so often, and I hope that your next trip (wherever you go) has far fewer obstacles! Safe travels home.

jkelly

kutztown, pa
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Packing up and sadly heading north

Just checking in from beachfront on Jekyll Island (can only afford the Club for the January specials). Weather is perfect and did a ton of beachwalking---just love Jekyll!!!

I want to thank everyone for your responses. We probably will return next year---the owner of the property next door offered to put Flash (the wonderbike) and Wild Thing (rusty but trusty) under his house for us, so maybe we can't disappoint our two wheeled friends.

Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Longboat Key
Level Contributor
4,184 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Packing up and sadly heading north

Excellent comments, moutainmare -- balanced and honest. From your visits over the years, and your many posts, your perspective is a good one. To answer the comment re the Summer, I think all of us locals would agree that it is much more laid-back and casual and welcoming ... and maybe that's why we live here year- round. In Summer months I've seen cars stop on Gulf of Mexico Drive (on Longboat) to let a heron slowly walk across the road ... and with no complaints or beeping of horns; I think herons know better than to try that in February! My favorite months are May and October, plus anything in between; that's when we'll go most often to restaurants, visit the beaches, check out the shops. But at this time of year, we head elsewhere.

United States
Level Contributor
6,440 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Packing up and sadly heading north

A little off topic from mountainmare's post but not entirely . . . questions to cbchrc:

I am shocked that people in winter would not stop to let a Heron cross the road, but people in summer do?? Could you explain that one, because I am curious. At home when geese cross the road, it doesn't matter what time of year it is, cars stop and let them leisurely cross.

But my big question is, why do you think it is more laid back, casual, and welcoming in summer? That one has me wondering too.

Newport, Rhode...
Level Contributor
675 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Packing up and sadly heading north

I would like to suggest that the problem was not AMI but the weather this Jan/Feb. Next year, why don't you try the month of March, or come a bit off island and try one of the many complexes, 6 miles from AMI, that rent for a 3 month minimum. When I was writing my dissertation I drove back and forth to Florida from Newport, RI, and I had the distinct pleasure of visiting Jekyll Island, a true paradise, enjoy that leisurely trip North.

Get answers to your questions about Anna Maria Island