We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timer to ami

Pottstown...
Level Contributor
186 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
First timer to ami

Looking to plan a little last minute trip in April, we have the winter blues!!

Will we expect some sun and decent warmth early April? Are any pools heated if not really warm?

Also, I'm confused is Bradenton part of AMI or is hat a whole other area? I don't want to rent a car just want to rent a golf cart and stay at a place near the beach with either a short walk or golf cart ride to it and a pool. Can I take golf cart

To grocery store!

We will be prob only doing three nights as I can't take too much time off. What's the best way to travel from airport without a car? Any insight would be great!

Tampa
Destination Expert
for Anna Maria
Level Contributor
4,784 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First timer to ami

Welcome first timer. Unfortunately you have picked a very busy time of year AND you are only staying 3 days instead of a full week so your choices may be limited but, below are places that I have stayed at and recommend and they rent daily.

Queens Gate

Tortuga Inn

Tropic Isle

Sunrise Gardens

Blue Water Beach Resort

Silver Surf

Bridgewalk Resort

Trades Winds Resort

Angelino Sea Lodge

Anna Maria Cottages

Palm Tree Villas

Bali Hai

Here are a few that I have not stayed in a long time but could work for you:

Haleys Motel

Pelican Post

Bungalow Beach Resort

Pirates Den and Anna Maria Motel also rent daily and get good reviews.

As far as getting around, the island is only 7 miles long so it is easy. There is a free trolley and gold carts are a blast and allows you to see areas you could not see from your car. I recommend FunandMore Rentals, they are awesome.

Good luck

Edited: 06 March 2014, 16:57
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,515 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First timer to ami

Which airport are you flying into? While the island is only 7 miles long, it is divided into three parts. Bradenton Beach in the South, Holmes Beach in the middle, and Anna Maria City the North part - a totally unnecessary division IMHO.

Pottstown...
Level Contributor
186 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First timer to ami

Honestly haven't decided which, Tampa is cheaper but have to figure in the additional travel cost still. I also forgot to mention in my post I obviously want to avoid the beach construction so do I focus on a specific region?

lexington, ky
Level Contributor
744 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First timer to ami

You should be fine wherever as they are scheduled to finish phase 1 in the next week or two. Phase 2 will be Coquina Beach at the very southern end, below 13th st south.

To answer your other question, Bradenton is on the mainland, Bradenton Beach is on Anna Maria Island.

Rusty gave good selections, gonna be busy at that time since it is prime school spring break time and families head to fl for the break. Good luck!

Bloomington, Indiana
Level Contributor
239 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First timer to ami

To answer your weather question - it should be beautiful weather when you are there in April. According to the Weather Channel, average high is 81 with an average low of 62. Pretty perfect. April is one of the lowest precipitation months also. All reasons that it tends to be crowded during April. :)

I would certainly trust Rusty's recommendations for lodging.

Pottstown...
Level Contributor
186 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First timer to ami

Thanks for all the help! Any recommendations for a shuttle from Tampa? We may just do the rental car since its so cheap, golfcart just looks like more fun. To be determined!

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
568 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: First timer to ami

Here is a link to the AMI Chamber website which has information about shuttles and taxi's from the Tampa airport: annamariaislandchamber.org/AbouttheChamber/B…

Have Fun!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First timer to ami

Best suggestion on a car last year was to use Thrifty. We did, it was the least expensive, simple airport access, etc. Can't go wrong!!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,515 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: First timer to ami

sherilynn, did Thrifty not try to make you take their package for paying for tolls?

Toronto, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: First timer to ami

My suggestion is rent a car for three days, it offers you the most flexibility and best use of your time at likely the least expensive price point. Tampa car rentals are typically cheaper and more competitive then surrounding airports, but the spread is not that large in the high season, which is when you are traveling. I've had good experiences with hotwire and Alamo. Dollar seems to always be the least $ but their cars are also the oldests.

Bradenton is not part of AMI and you are in a different "city" as soon as you cross the bridge or 27th street or 85th St.