We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bradenton or Holmes?

Coral Springs, FL
Level Contributor
13 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Bradenton or Holmes?

Hi, planning on heading to AMI for the first time this July and I'm not sure which part of the island to stay. We have 3 kids (ages 8, 4 and 4) so some kid friendly activities would be helpful. Also, any recommendations on house rentals? I've gone through VRBO in the past but was wondering if locals use other avenues to advertise. We would love a 5 bedroom but can manage with 4. Thanks.

Burlington, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Burlington
Level Contributor
2,767 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bradenton or Holmes?

Some may have stronger opinions on this than me, but in our visits we have been less concerned with our specific spot from a geographic standpoint, than the specifics about our rental unit itself. We like a nice pool and within a couple minute walk to the beach, if not on the beach itself. After that, we are mostly concerned with whether the rental meets our needs, although at least one restaurant and a convenience store within walking distance have been nice to have. From wherever you stay on the Island, it is an easy trolly ride or drive to just about anywhere else, and the beach is pretty similar (and beautiful) wherever you happen to be.

However, the rip currents that appear to exist in more force at the northern end of the island scare me a bit, especially with a young child. I may be over-cautious, but that has been enough for me to shy away from VRBO rentals way up by Bean Point.

kutztown, pa
Level Contributor
1,496 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bradenton or Holmes?

The island is really small and although there are three towns they all run together. I agree that you should pick a house that meets your needs as a first priority.

Rip tides can happen anywhere but it is common sense that at either tip of the island currents will be stronger. When the water in general is dangerous they issue warnings.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
186 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bradenton or Holmes?

We just came back last week and stayed in Holmes Beach area. With 5 kids ages 3-16. It was a 200 step walk to our beach access. We could also walk to restaurants, fro yo, marina (great dolphin cruise). There was also a gift store that had fun talking parrotts and a good coffee shop. Being in the middle of the island, it was a quick drive to north or south. North activities include shopping, donuts and fishing off rod and reel and then Bradenton had fun mini golf at the Fish Hole and great beaches. We rented thru Coastal Cottages and found them helpful. We loved the house and have already rented it again for next spring break!

4. Re: Bradenton or Holmes?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2015, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Anna Maria Island