We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideas on what to do in 3 days with kids.

London, United...
Level Contributor
180 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Ideas on what to do in 3 days with kids.

We will arrive in Anna Maria on Wednesday evening after an 8 day theme park marathon for the last leg of our holiday. We are 2 adults with 2 kids aged 7 and 10 and will be quite tired after all the excitement but will need some activities planned,especially if rainy as forecast. Our 10 year old son would love to have a go at fishing and our 7 year old daughter would love to spot a dolphin. Can we fish off the pier? Is it possible to go on a boat trip? Any suggestions for things to do on Thursday, Friday and Saturday this week would be greatly appreciated. I would like to just flop on the beach but suspect we may need to think of a few other activities. We are staying at queens resort. Two more long days at the parks ahead of us and really can't wait to get to AMI! Thanks.

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ideas on what to do in 3 days with kids.

Mote Aquarium and the Mote Boat should top your list.

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ideas on what to do in 3 days with kids.

You can fish from the Rod and Reel Pier. We saw dolphins there as well.

We also like Joan Durante Park on Long Boat Key. Great walking paths and a nice playground for kids. Coquina Bay Walk (Leffis Key) at the south tip of the island is a nice place to walk as well. There is a playground across Gulf Drive by the beach.

Burlington, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Burlington
Level Contributor
2,550 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ideas on what to do in 3 days with kids.

We've enjoyed Mote Aquarium in the past. Captain Kathe was a fun way to spend a couple hours as well. http://captkathe.com/cortezcaptkathe.html

kutztown, pa
Level Contributor
1,326 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ideas on what to do in 3 days with kids.

If you are talking about this weekend (Easter weekend) there are fun things planned in Anna Maria. Egg hunt--painting, Easter parade. When you get to the island ask for details.

I agree that the Mote is great--but after being in theme park crowds you may need a break and welcome playing on the beach, looking for shells, seeing dolphins and neat birds.

Enjoy your stay

London, United...
Level Contributor
180 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ideas on what to do in 3 days with kids.

Thank you so much for suggestions. After another 12 hour day at Universal today I am counting the hours!

United States
Level Contributor
6,398 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ideas on what to do in 3 days with kids.

After an 8 day theme park trip, your kids may be ready for some down time too! The beach, fishing, and dolphins might be enough for them too!

Ohio
Level Contributor
132 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ideas on what to do in 3 days with kids.

My kids are 4, 8, & 10 and they love the Eco Boat tour through Mote Marine. They cast a net and sort everything out and put the fish, seahorses, crabs, etc. into containers to pass about and touch those that are safe to touch and we saw about a dozen dolphins the last time we did it. It's about a 2 hour trip, very entertaining.

After that many days park hopping you may find they will be content playing in the sand and beach and of course shell hunting!

Abingdon, MD
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Ideas on what to do in 3 days with kids.

I am not sure if this is close but we went to the Ringling Museum today and it was amazing. My girls 8 & 10 loved it.

London, United...
Level Contributor
180 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ideas on what to do in 3 days with kids.

Thanks for suggestions. We have been a bit unlucky with the weather, today is the last day of the 3 we have on Anna Maria Island. The boat trip to see dolphins and do some fishing scheduled for this afternoon has just been cancelled due to high winds. Can anyone suggest the best place to spot some dolphins from land and to try out some kids fishing? We tried Rod and Reel yesterday but it was raining too hard, is that the best place to try a bit of gentle fishing?

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ideas on what to do in 3 days with kids.

Rod and Reel is your best bet, but you could also try Bridge Street Pier.

Get answers to your questions about Anna Maria Island