We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Underrated Beach Towns

Bloomington, Indiana
Level Contributor
239 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Underrated Beach Towns

Tripadvisor has just rated AMI as one of the most underrated beach towns in the country "that you must visit this summer" along with Sanibel, Siesta Key, Cannon Beach, and Bandon, OR. Not sure why Cannon Beach is listed since it is a very popular tourist destination. We were just there last month and, unlike AMI, it's a a bit of a tourist trap and is incredibly developed. Lovely, but very touristy.

Am I the only one who cringes every time Anna Maria Island is included in theses lists? One of the reasons we started visiting AMI was that is was not as developed or as well known as Siesta and Sanibel.

United States
Level Contributor
6,412 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Underrated Beach Towns

I understand your cringing. I think that has a lot to do with why it is getting more and more expensive to stay on AMI. Although you say Sanibel is on the list. We go to Sanibel/Captiva Islands every year, and I haven't seen the increase in price there as fast as AMI has increased.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,139 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Underrated Beach Towns

Maybe because Sainbel has been Very popular much longer? Not sure. I know my Mom wanted to go there with us when we were small but she said it was too far and too expensive (we lived in DC area). I get sad now she is gone and I go there and think of how much she would like being there.

I think prices will rise in Amelia Island with all the publicity they have had

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
189 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Underrated Beach Towns

I saw the article this morning and I was thinking, please no! I don't want anyone else to know about my happy place!

United States
Level Contributor
6,412 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Underrated Beach Towns

I looked at the article too. Calling it "Underrated Beach towns" was a little deceiving as a title. They are actually favorite places of the TA poll respondents.

Maybe AMI needs to opt out of some of these articles. Oh that's right, we're the ones who want them to do that, not them.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
1,393 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Underrated Beach Towns

Shhhh Doughnut, don't mention Captiva. We like having the sunset as our most exciting activity.

, Illinois, United...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Underrated Beach Towns

I have been up and down both coasts and I can honestly say That AMI is the best place for a relaxing vacation in all of Florida. I found my paradise. I hope it stays just the way it is. I Love It. I Stay at Runaway Bay on Bradenton Beach. I never vacation anywhere else in Florida since I discovered this great location. Have been coming here with friends and family for the past 15 years. They all love it too!

Dayton ohio
Level Contributor
68 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Underrated Beach Towns

We have stayed on Sanibel on 6 different occasions. (Got married there)

This year we are trying AMI. Hoping that is another great Fla island

Nebraska
Level Contributor
1,685 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Underrated Beach Towns

I cringe every time AMI gets a new Facebook like!

Tierra Verde...
Level Contributor
2,133 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Underrated Beach Towns

"Florida is now closed. Please travel elsewhere." Joking.

10. Re: Underrated Beach Towns

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 June 2015, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about Anna Maria Island