We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manatees

Bourbon, IN
Level Contributor
429 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Manatees

My son has never seen a manatee and is dying to but I've had no luck seeing them on Anna Maria. Where have you guys seen them the most? I'm on island again right now and loving it!!

Virginia
Level Contributor
256 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manatees

We've had luck in this location in the past:

Go across the Manatee Avenue bridge onto the mainland.

Turn Right onto Palma Sola Boulevard. I think it's the first road after the cross the causeway after the bridge.

After a little while you can see that the road is going up over a bridge. Turn left before the bridge Park as close as you can to the water area (marina area). You should see manatees there.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,485 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Manatees

The above post is spot on for a good location. However the are more plentiful in the cooler months coming in these small inlets seeking warmer water

ontario canada
Level Contributor
163 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Manatees

this year will be our 5th vacation on the island......still have never seen a dolphin or manatee...saw your posting about this Palma Sola location.....however, .we always visit in September....is this just the wrong time of year to see them?

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
46 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Manatees

We are currently staying on Bradenton beach and saw 2 swim by this morning!

New Forest, United...
Level Contributor
257 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Manatees

We were on the Island for two weeks last September. We saw dolphins most days either just off the gulf beaches or near the Rod and Reel Pier. We also drove over to the little Marina at Palma Sola and spent an hour or so following a Manatee around. Great Fun.

Bourbon, IN
Level Contributor
429 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Manatees

I got lucky today! Hubby stayed by shore with the kids and I floated out farther than I usually get to with a 6 year old attached to me!

I saw a giant dark spot headed my direction. For a minute I was scared and thought I was going to die in the gulf but then I realized it was a manatee! It was about 5 feet away and swam right past me! Great experience!

Too bad my son didn't get to see it though!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,277 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Manatees

Please do take care to not touch, feed, nor interact with the manatees in any way -- it's illegal.

Watching is fine, but only if it couldn't be construed as chasing.

midwest
Level Contributor
98 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Manatees

Hi. We are on the island right now and have had good luck seeing both dolphins and manatees. Last night at the city pier, a manatee swam right by as we walked out to get a seat for dinner. On Monday morning, we saw probably 50 dolphin in the gulf on the north end (at about 6:30am). By 7:15, most were gone. We've checked most mornings and have not had a repeat of that many dolphins but have seen some each morning.

Level Contributor
78 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Manatees

We recently went to the site on Palma Sola Blvd in early June. The first time we had no luck, but we ran into a local that explained that the manatees are usually always there referring to the various seasons but low tide is the best time for viewing. The second time we went at low tide and we were pleased to find several adult and baby manatees swimming around. We took pictures but the water is very murky and most photos were not very good :(

10. Re: Manatees

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2015, 05:16