We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cedar Key like Anna Maria ?

northwest
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Cedar Key like Anna Maria ?

We are spending the month of Nov. on Anna Maria again this year but thought we might check out a new place the week before and thought of Cedar Key. I heard it was like Key West 30 years ago. Sounds great to me. I know a few of you have been there so what do you think and what can you tell me about it. I trust my forum friends much more than adds. We love riding bikes, hanging out reading, good food, fun drinking spots, live music, nice folks and sunsets. Sounds like Anna Maria right? Is it worth the extra driving? Thanks much

Tampa
Destination Expert
for Anna Maria
Level Contributor
4,758 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cedar Key like Anna Maria ?

Nope, it is nothing like Anna Maria Island. First, there is hardly a beach unless you have a boat to go out in the gulf and stop off at one of the little islands. Secondly, it is tiny, really tiny, I think there less than 10 restaurants on the entire key and just a couple of bars with entertainment.

That being said, we love Cedar Key, we go for the Pirate Invasion in September, Seafood Festival in October and Arts in Craft Festival in April. It is a friendly Old Florida fishing village, very laid back. If you like to fish, bird watch or just relax it is an awesome place but don't expect pristine beaches or a lot of action. We always rent golf carts, great way to get around the key and see lots of beautiful site. Go on their Chamber of Commerce website and check it out. One of our favorite places to stay is the Low Key Hideaway, it has it's on tiki bar and its a very fun place. We have made some wonderful friends there through the years and like AMI it feels like home to us.

Southampton
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cedar Key like Anna Maria ?

We are from across the pond and love AMI and have been three times with the last time spending a few days at Cedar Key - we were not disappointed. It is a long drive and there is hardly anything there but to us it was bliss. Rustycat is right - hardly any beach but we stayed at Harbour Master Suites and had a room with a balcony that looked right out over the water. We spent much of the time relaxing and watching from the balcony. We're not returning to AMI until Oct 2015 and may well do Cedar Key again as we loved it. If you're looking for peace and quiet Cedar Key is the place to go. A genuine relaxed and friendly atmosphere with night skies to die for. Rustycat put me on to Cedar Key in the first place and we will always be grateful!!

Tampa
Destination Expert
for Anna Maria
Level Contributor
4,758 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cedar Key like Anna Maria ?

That's very nice Southamptons, I am so happy you too love Cedar Key. It isn't for everyone but it is true Old Florida", I love all the marsh land surrounding the key there. Sunsets are almost as gorgeous as AMI. We have been staying at Harbour Master Suites for over 10 years but our group has gotten so big that we have rented a house this time for the October Seafood Festival and are looking forward to it.

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cedar Key like Anna Maria ?

I agree with the above. For us, Cedar Key is a nice, long weekend stay. Go, enjoy the flats, the golf cart, the shops and restaurants and bars, but a few days is enough.

Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Longboat Key
Level Contributor
4,177 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cedar Key like Anna Maria ?

Rusty -- that's a perfect description!

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
13,702 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cedar Key like Anna Maria ?

You might combine Cedar Key, Crystal river and Homassassa springs into a trip. All are small older towns of Florida. Check out Weeki Wachee one of Florida oldest remaining theme parks.We did a day trip to Cedar Key and enjoyed it. Would love to go back and stay a couple of days.

7. Re: Cedar Key like Anna Maria ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2015, 07:16